Monday, October 30, 2006

All Hallows Eve

I don't remember any Halloween activities in England when I was growing up, not until I was about 15 and an American girl came to join us at boarding school. We thought she was a bit exotic, she spoke English very differently from our clipped, elecution lesson style, and came from the southern US, she even walked differently from us.
Image
It was she who told us about Halloween, and the various activities that accompanied it. We had a midnight feast on October 31, after that, and bobbed apples and ate chocolate and listened to Radio Luxemburg, all a definate no-no in our Anglo-Catholic Convent Boarding School.

What I do remember was the "All Saint's Day" also called "All Hallows Eve" from which the word Halloween came. There was a church service where each one of us was given a candle and it was lighted from the altar candle, and I think if I remember correctly we would walk around the school and convent property and bless the land for the next year. There was never any mention of ghouls, goblins, witches or werewolves, this seems to be a custom that came with the Irish immigrants to North America.

1 comment:

Rosepetal said...

Hello, I found your blog through the comment you left on WTF's blog. It sounds and looks beautiful where you are (and cold right now). Hope the fact that you are writing means that the power has come back.