Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Leniency will encourage Vigilanteism

CBC News Today

"A Winnipeg man was sentenced Tuesday to seven more years in prison and his common-law wife was sentenced to time served for sexually assaulting two girls, including a 12-year-old relative.

The Court of Queen's Bench Justice sentenced the offender to seven years in prison — on top of about two years already spent in custody — on eight charges, including kidnapping and sexual assault. His wife, who was convicted of three charges of sexual assault and forcible confinement, was given credit for the two years she had served in custody and was to be released Tuesday.

Court was told that for several years since 1999, these two individuals lured the two girls into their house on promises of free liquor and drugs, then raped them. The assaults started when the girls were 12 and 13 years old. One of the victims became pregnant with the man's child.

Family members of the victims swore and sobbed in the courtroom, saying the sentences were too lenient."
I think, if the courts continue with this kind of leniency, it is almost certain that the fathers, brothers and other males connected with these victims, and maybe even their women folk, will take matters into their own hands.

Sitting at the dinner table tonight, as we ate and watched the news, my husband was getting aeriated, and letting me know in no uncertain terms what he would do if anyone touched one of ours. Peaceful woman that I am, I have always held that if anyone attacked my children I would have no qualms about sticking my kitchen knife in his back.

Certainly we need to adhere to the laws of the land, but that law is letting us down. Nearly every evening as we listen to the news we are outraged that these criminals are getting off. We think we can educate these people, and they will become better human beings, yet it has been proved and proved again that most do not change.

Some time ago, when we lived on Vancouver Island, we had some damage done to our property. We were approached by a man asking if we wanted the vigilantes to take care of the individuals that had done the damage. We declined.

I have also been asked if I wanted my ex-husband roughed up after he hit me. I declined.

The vigilantes are out there just waiting for us to say yes, and I think as a society we are almost ready to do so.

No comments: