Friday, December 22, 2006

A brief History of Christmas Cards

Merry Christmas - see you after the holidays

Christmas Card ExampleChristmas cards were partly inspired by Valentine's Day cards and New Year's cards, the oldest surviving of which was printed in 1466. Home-made cards were fashioned by children even during the reign of Queen Anne, but the popularized Christmas card as we know it wasn't invented until the mid 1800s.

There is some debate over who was the "inventor" of the Christmas card. The oldest Christmas card created for general distribution probably was created by William Egley Jr.; a 16 year-old British youth. His 3 1/2-inch- by 5 1/2-inch, preserved in the British Museum, depicts four holiday scenes and a "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" greeting with blanks after the word "To" on the top and "From" at the bottom. Industrious kid! The date on his card is clearly 1842... or 1849. The last figure is obscure, so it's difficult to say who was first.

In the year 1843, Sir Henry Cole commissioned John Calcott Horsley to paint a card showing the feeding and clothing of the poor. A center panel displayed a happy family embracing one another, sipping wine and enjoying the festivities. (So much for good intentions. The card drew criticism because showing a child enjoying a sip of wine was considered "fostering the moral corruption of children.") "A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You" was printed on that first Christmas card. Legend says Sir Henry Cole didn't send any Christmas cards the following year, but the custom became popular anyway.

Others say the date of this story was in 1847. They agree that the first Christmas card was produced by Sir Henry Cole who worked for the British Postal Service, and an artist he hired named John Horsley. Cole was too busy to write his own greetings, so he hired Horsley to design a card for him. One thousand of these cards were printed and could be mailed for a penny a piece.

The criticism it drew may have contributed to its popularity. By the Christmas season of 1847, a number of people were giving out Christmas cards of their own. Had it not been for the controversy over Horsley's card, many of these new card givers may never have considered it.

The early Christmas card manufacturers believed Christmas cards to be a fad that would soon pass. They did not bother to document the cards they produced. However, the Christmas card was destined to become an integral part of the holiday season. By 1880 their manufacture was big business, creating previously unknown opportunities for artists, writers, printers, and engravers.

In 1875, Louis Prang, a German immigrant to the U.S., opened a lithographic shop with $250 and published the first line of U.S. Christmas cards. His initial creations featured flowers and birds, unrelated to the Christmas scene. By 1881, Prang was producing more than five million Christmas cards each year. His Yuletide greetings began to feature snow scenes, fir trees, glowing fireplaces and children playing with toys. His painstaking craftsmanship and lithographic printing have made his cards a favorite of collectors today.

Prang received most of his recognition however from his Christmas card contests that he ran. Every year he would enlist of the help of well-known figures in the American art world to judge the entrants. Winners would receive cash prizes. He further involved the public by allowing them to vote for their favorite cards, as well. This "Public Prize" was conducted apart from the professional judges and the winners were also awarded cash prizes.

Today, over 2.6 billion Christmas cards are mailed annually (over $571 million dollars worth!). This amount is almost twice the volume of the $277 million dollars worth of Valentine cards mailed annually.

Christmas card information from Holiday Decorations

7 comments:

jessica said...

Hello

I was looking for ways that would help me get free traffic to my Blog. While I was searching on BlogExplosion I found your Blog. I know it does not have to do with getting traffic but I really enjoyed reading it, great job!! In fact I have my own Blog and I get a lot of free traffic from http://www.autosurfmonster.com , If I were you I would submit this Blog to them so thousands of others can see it for free. Well, I will add your Blog to my favorites and I look forward to all the updates.

Jessica

Vic Grace said...

Thanks Jessica I really appreciate that you like the blog and stopped to say so. I couldn't access your blog so I could visit personally.

I will look at that link you left.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

I don't know if I will blog in the next few days or not since everyone is busy with Christmas etc.

Jeni said...

Here's wishing you a very Merry Christmas, Vic! I'm about ready to curl up into a fetal position and sleep for the next 2-3 days I think!

crpitt said...

Happy Christmas and have a Great New Year!
I am also not sure if i will blog over the next few days, but might not be able to stay away from the computer? also i have to fit in my chunk of the story!
Cheers
Claire

Karen & Mike said...

Merry Christmas from Lone Butte, Vic!

Jeni said...

Really interesting reading the history behind Christmas cards. You've been doing a heck of a good job on trying to educate us the past two weeks. Now, I hope you can also find a good and easy way to help us retain the information you've been presenting here!

CreditGirl said...

Dear Jessica, thank you for your blog, you can't imagine how much I love all kinds of cards, I have a big collection of them. For some reason I have never thought about their history. Now I know all about it thanks to you!