Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Jonah and Rosa

When my father was working on the pipeline in northern Iraq near the Little Zab river we had a lady named Rosa who came to work for us to do the general housework. I remember my father telling me she was a Jonahite - one of the followers of Jonah.

Many people know the story of Jonah and the whale, although the Bible never said it was a whale just a big fish. The story goes that God sent Jonah to preach to the people of Nineveh because they were such a wicked city and if they repented God would not punish them. The old city of Nineveh is now the modern city of Mosul in northern Iraq.

I have searched for reference of these people off and on over the years but it was only a few days ago that I found it. The people of Nineveh were Assyrians and there are still some modern day Assyrians descended from the very people Jonah spoke to and who followed his teachings and later became christians. Their story is quite interesting read about them and how they have been persecuted Assyrian christians

Rosa was a very quiet lady and every year she produced a child, usually a boy. She liked to name her children after the men for whom she worked and informed my father that the next boy would be called Tudor, his first name. My father was horrified, he did not see that she was hoping to please him, rather that there would be a little boy running around Iraq labeled with a good old fashioned Welsh name. Luckily for Dad she had a girl she called Katy after my Mother.

4 comments:

Phillybits said...

I saw your frustration on Colorado Bob's site about the Snap website preview script not working properly in your Blogger template and your thoughts that because you use HTML and I use CSS there was some type of problem.

There shouldn't be. Did you see their Blogger install instruction page? You should be able to put the single line script just above your closing head tag (/head).

If you're still interested, try again and see what happens. If you have any questions, just leave a comment at Phillybits and I'll see if I can help you.

Jeni said...

Gee Vic, you just keep coming through with all kinds of information for us! I had never before heard of the followers of Jonah - very interesting! Keep teaching us, please.

Gene Bach said...

Way cool Vic. I can't imagine how tough it would be to be a Christian in Iraq, or most anywhere else over there. Very nice read!

Gene

Leann said...

I like the story of Jonah.he reminds me of me.I end up in the belly of a whale so to speak all the time for shooting of my mouth.but thank God I get spit out on the beach and get another chance.God bless.