Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Grizzly bear

I found this really interesting blog called The Animal, where the writer has brought in some great photographs and is very informative if you like animals. Here is some information I took from it about Grizzly Bear plus added my own tidbits.

The Grizzly is fGo to fullsize imageound mainly in mountainous regions and national parks in pockets of northwestern North America from Alaska,through British Columbia to Idaho,Montana and Wyoming. The Grizzly has a large nose, in fact most of its face is nose and its sense of smell is so good that it can smell a dead animal from several kilometres away. What’s more, it will travel across mountains, over rivers and through forests to get at it. Sometimes a grizzly bear will even stand up on its hind legs to get a better scent or view of its objective.

In the information centre in Houston, BC there is a stuffed grizzly which was sGo to fullsize imagehot a couple of years ago due to the fact it had attacked and eaten a man, it is absolutely huge. We have them around here and one was shot on our property a few years ago. Before our time here. This picture shows how big they can grow compared to a human.

Grizzlies eat a very wide variety of food, much of it from plants, including grass, berries and nuts. Insects, rodents, fish and carrion ( dead animals ) are also eaten. They are good diggers, too, and often turf out roots, bulbs and even ground squirrels. Sometimes, they will go after large, live prey such as a sick or young moose: the grizzly will chase it with a sudden burst of speed, killing it with a single blow of its paw. In Alaska, one of their greatest sources of protein is salmon. Grizzlies gather to fish in large numbers at rapids where salmon jump on their way to spawning grounds in the spring.

I remembered this story about an English art teacher who holidayed in Canada with a girlfriend in the 1930s.“They went out walking at the wrong time, when the bears were hungry,” one of his former pupils told me. “Suddenly this grizzly appeared and the girl did what you must never do: she ran. She managed to scramble up a tree but was badly mauled. Bravely, her companion went to her rescue, whereupon the bear turned on him, killed him and ate him.”

We have seen tracks in the snow behind our truck and I am always a bit concerned when we go berry picking down by the river as they are often seen there. Most of the time they will just watch you from the bush but I don't like the thought of being too close to them. I worry about my husband being out fishing on the river bank and because he is hard of hearing he wouldn't hear anything coming up from behind. He says if he saw a grizzly or a black bear he would just throw them his catch, because that is what they have smelled and what has drawn them, and he would get out of there.

We'll be seeing the bears again soon, usually about May we see them nibbling the fresh grass and shoots by the side of the road, often with a couple of cubs, it is wonderful to view them, just don't get too close especially with young around.

4 comments:

AMAZING GRACIE said...

I think I would probably faint and the bear could just come and gobble me right up! Grizzlies are SO huge! I can never get over the size of their paws...awesome creatures, but I don't want to be in their element at the same time.

Claire said...

I just cant imagine what it likes to see a bear in the wild and for it to be in your vicinity. As you know, we have nothing like that here. It absolutely fascinates me and makes me regret not finishing my ecology degree.

Gene Bach said...

We get black bears wandering around once in a great while but not too often. A few mountain lions too. Never had to put up with living with a griz' though! LOL!

Marcia said...

I won't even go to the sportsmen show at the local fairgrounds because they have a caged grizzly bear. For that matter, I don't even want to drive by the fairgrounds. Wait, why was I even outside doing yard work this afternoon? I don't know how you manage out there. . .