Friday, March 02, 2007

Building bridges


Here is a picture of a giant tortoise and an orphaned baby hippo who forged an unusual friendship after the 2004 tsunami in southeast

Asia. Mzee , a 130-year-old Aldabran tortoise, became a surrogate parent and inseparable friend to hippo Owen who was washed out to sea off the coast of Kenya, rescued by villagers and taken to a wildlife park where the tortoise lived.

Owen and Mzee live, sleep and play together, and are also creating a language of their own. They have created sounds unique to hippo or to tortoise and use gentle nods and pushes to communicate with one another. Check out their blog Owen and Mzee

"Their true story that borders on the unbelievable teaches us many beautiful lessons on many levels," said their caregiver.

This road bridge passes through a valley of the river Tarn near to the city of Mijo in southern France. It is the highest transport bridge in the world, one of its supports is 341m — that's higher than the Eiffel Tower, and only 40 meters less than Empire State Building.


It is amazing isn't it that animals can overcome differences and learn to communicate while we humans can't or don't want to and that we have learned to build great structures but we don't seem to know how to build the bridges between us.

God built a bridge too, called Jesus, it is up to us if we choose to cross it.

5 comments:

SusieJ said...

My kids LOVE this book. They love your blog -- with all the animal pictures. Thank you for your lovely comments and support. Much appreciated!! I'm really doing this as a way to scrapbook my family. And family, really is all that matters.
Thanks so much for stopping by.

AMAZING GRACIE said...

Boy, time has gotten away from me! It's been way too long since I've been here. February is a rough month isn't it...March is my worst month. Both my dad and my first husband died in March. Not my favorite.
I've always thought I would like to live out like you do but one never knows until you've walked a mile in their proverbial moccasins! I hope the rest of winter will fly by for you and the gonzo pup is out of your hair soon.
Thanks for not giving up your blogging experience. For what it's worth, I always enjoy reading your thoughts and I appreciated your reference to Christ as the bridge.
~~~Blessings~~~

Liz said...

What a lovely story about the hippo and the tortoise. I hope they can stay friends together.

That is one scary-looking bridge!

Claire said...

Such a cute story and a lovely sentiment. I too wish us humans could overcome our differences and build bridges of understanding.

DellaB said...

fascinating pictures these, thanks Vic.