Monday, July 30, 2007

Poop by any other name!

Gosh! those Chinese are really into , (see article at the bottom of post) I certainly could learn a thing or two. What with the doggy do do, piles of moose droppings and the black sticky stuff that are bear turds all over my yard I could take a leaf out of their book and gather it all up and wash it and make ... nothing comes to mind. What do you suggest?

Some enterprising people actually make jewellery from moose droppings Since it comes out in perfect ovals it does lend itself to this particular art form but I don't think I would ever wear it. I can't find a picture to show you but they are dried and then painted and strung like beads. Bear turds are truly irredeemable, I think, Annie the dog likes them though, she thinks rolling in it is the height of doggy elegance.




Cow pat clocks have been around for some time. Somehow the model does not look as if she would have this item in her home. I always have visions of it slipping off the wall on a hot day.





Panda Poop to Be Recycled Into Souvenirs


The Chengdu Giant Panda Breeding Base has come up with a dung-for-profit scheme that turns droppings from the endangered species into odor-free souvenirs ranging from bookmarks to Olympic-themed statues of the animals, state media and base officials said Monday.

The facility in the southwestern province of Sichuan houses about 40 bamboo-fed pandas who produce less than a ton of excrement a day.

"We used to spend at least 6,000 yuan ($770) a month to get rid of the droppings but now they can be lucrative," Jing Shimin, assistant to the base director, was quoted as saying by the official Xinhua News Agency.

The products will be made at a local handicraft company mostly from undigested bamboo culled from the panda waste through a special process, Xinhua said.

An official who answered the phone at the Chengdu facility said the dung is "carefully selected, smashed, dried and sterilized at 300 degrees Celsius (572 degrees Fahrenheit)." He refused to give his name but said the products will be of all colors because they will be dyed.

"They don't smell too bad because 70 percent of the dung is just remains of the bamboo that the pandas are unable to digest," Jing said.

While no price has been set, he said the most expensive souvenirs will contain a panda hair - collected from the wild - in each package.

The 2008 Olympic statues will feature "athletic pandas performing various Olympic sports," Xinhua said.

In March, base officials said they were looking into making high-quality paper from the fiber-rich panda excrement, inspired by a trip to Thailand, where they found paper made from elephant dung.

The Chiang Mai Zoo in northern Thailand already sells multicolored paper made from waste produced by its two resident pandas. Making paper there involves a daylong process of cleaning the feces, boiling it in a soda solution, bleaching it with chlorine and drying it under the sun.

The panda is one of the world's rarest and most beloved animals, with about 1,590 living in the wild in China, mostly in Sichuan and the western province of Shaanxi. Another 180 have been bred in captivity. By AUDRA ANG

9 comments:

Jeni said...

Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't write humor! I was sitting here reading your comments about the various items in your yard from the dog to the bear to the moose droppings and it was a laugh out loud moment there! Too funny!

If "dung" of any type can be salvaged and reused in any way possible, maybe some scientists should think about figuring out a way to maybe melt it down for the oils and gasses or some such like that and use it for an alternative type fuel someday? Maybe I should pass this over to the Meloncutter for a suggestion for his "Meloncutter Industries" huh?

Peace!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Vic,

I've thoroughly enjoyed this post. Look for an update on my blog shortly - you might enjoy what you see (can't give you too many details just yet).

On my 2005 trip, photographing parts of the country for the Canadian Tourism Commission, I had the misfortune of stepping in something hot and steaming - bear dung.

Must write a post about it. But now to more pressing things. Would you mind if I added you to my blogroll, because you are rapidly becoming a favourite.

Cheers from Down Under

Keep smiling

David

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Oh, how lovely! I somehow doubt that model has ever been anywhere near a field, let alone a real, unsanitised cow-pat..

I visited an african village once, where goat droppings are an essential part of village life, from making "cement" for their huts, to providing valuable fuel for their fire. Amazingly, they were odourless.

narendra.s.v said...

well! interesting blog!

Danielle B. said...

I am still laughing at the potential of that clock slipping off the wall on a hot day...very funny ;)

RUTH said...

A fascinating read! Recycling at its best :o)

Deborah Gamble said...

I suppose the cow pie clock only has redeeming qualities to one that has never personally stepped in a cow pie. Since I grew up in Iowa, that counts me out!

ozlady said...

I've been in a cow-pat throwing fight and I don't think I'd ever put one on my wall.

Hilarious.

But I have to say... eeeeew.

Kevin said...

Wow. They're not even hiding it any more. The Chinese really do sell us crap.