Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Thinking ahead or altering the future

A Canadian woman is planning to freeze her eggs for the future use of her daughter , who is likely to become infertile, therefore the girl could give birth to a sibling. Canadian mother freezes her eggs for use by her daughter

Josephine Quintavalle, of Comment on Reproductive Ethics, expressed sympathy with the family, but could not support storing the mother's eggs.

She said: "The psychological welfare of the baby itself has to be the principal concern.

"Such a baby would be a sibling of the birth mother at the same time as the direct genetic offspring of the grandmother donor.

"In psychiatry we are hearing more and more of children suffering from identity problems, and specifically a condition called 'genealogical bewilderment'. Could it possibly get more bewildering than this?

"We have to stop thinking of women only in terms of their reproductive potential. The daughter could live a full and happy life without having children of her own."

I am not sure if I feel this is ethical or not, but somehow it does not sit right with me. I feel sure this mother is acting out of love but when do our feelings allow us to mess with the future. Of course the mother's comment about giving a kidney, if her daughter needed it, is probably what we would all feel and do should our child need it, is this instance different in your view?

It has the feel of 'Back to the Future' about it for me and I find it mildly revolting but that is just a gut reaction. I don't think I would do the same if I had a daughter in this position but I am not sitting in judgement on this woman.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

I don't know why exactly, but reading that article about the mother/daughter/frozen eggs thing just gives me a kind of creepy feeling. I suppose it wouldn't really be all that different from in vitro fertilization or the mother who gave birth to twins (I think it was) a few years ago that were her from daughter's eggs and the mother then carried them through the pregnancy, etc. Just kind of all makes me shudder a bit though for some reason.

cybercelt said...

It is creepy! Your baby is your sister and your grand aunt? I thought child bearing was a DIY activity.

Think of the lawsuits to come. The lawyers will be happy. LOL

RUTH said...

One of the things that worries me about sperm donors and egg donors in general is that in the future babies could be unwittingly the offspring of half brothers and sisters.

Claire said...

I have to agree with you, it definitely doesn't sit right with me.
Also there a lots of children that need fostering or adopting, so why does that even need to be a possibility.