Friday, August 24, 2007

Look what happens when I come out of my cave

Some of you read Wednesday's post about "Having to be social again", in that I told you we were going to a potluck supper. It was at our church which is over 60miles away, about 132km. It was an end of summer get together, just seeing where people were after being away and busy during the summer.

In the course of the evening the pastor said he had a real need for someone to coordinate information because he is out of town so often on ministry trips, and the small congregation is so wide spread that often people can't make it to church, especially in winter and some felt they didn't know what was going on anymore. He wondered if a website would do the trick.

I sat there most of the evening thinking that a blog would work much better, and as I looked around I realized everyone else had jobs and families and didn't have the knowledge anyway, so guess what, I am the new Cyber Secretary. The nice thing is I can do it all from 60 miles away, I can stay in my cave and look after the church administration. I always see myself as Yoda from Star Wars, big ears and all, I hope I can be as wise.

So I have been really busy the last couple of days, setting everything up, and I am actually enjoying myself. So if I don't return your comment right away you'll understand

6 comments:

Jeni said...

I think they got the best person for the job - you'll do an excellent job for them, of that I'm sure. Yoda, huh? Good one!

Bob Johnson said...

Congrats on job new you have, it actually sounds like fun.

Anna said...

A blog is a perfect idea for keeping the church members updated. They can even subscribe and get it delivered to their email. With blogger you can even add authors so that, if you eventually want to have someone else post once in a while, they can do that. I'm thinking maybe letters from the pastor or something.

I keep wanting to set something like that up for some of the organizations we're involved with, but I haven't gone beyond the conceptual stage. I really should get busy.

Good luck with your new duties!

Cicero Sings said...

I'm with you on this socializing thing ... it is so much WORK! One gets out of practice. I much prefer one on one situations ... always have.

The church blog is a great idea and good on you for taking it on. I think it'll be fun. I'm sure you have many pearls of wisdom to drop here and there. Too bad we are "so late wise" isn't it? And then we're still not wise! Sigh. Always learning. But it keeps life interesting.

david mcmahon said...

You're the best person for it ...

david mcmahon said...

Hi Vic,

I know you're busy, but I'm still dropping by every day - because you're one of my favourites.

Keep smiling

David