Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Dial up, Smile up

I went down to the Village Office this morning as soon as they opened. A cheque in my hot little hand to pay for the hook up of the broadband they had introduced into the village a while back.

I have been anticipating getting it for months, but had to wait until I had some money available. I was contemplating the speed, experimenting with all the new technology, and visiting blogs that take so long to load up on dial up, as I walked into the office and offered my cheque.

The Village Administrator turned to me with a smile plastered across his face, "Too many trees, yep, too many trees, can't receive the signal up there." And that was that!

So here I am bitterly disappointed. I will just have to keep on keeping on, but there were so many things I wanted to try. Oh well!

10 comments:

Skittles said...

Oh nooooo! Hopefully soon!

Terri said...

Too many trees? I can't imagine such a thing in your neck of the woods *giggle* I'm waiting on Verizon to run their new lines through the trailer park I live in so we can have broadband. We could have it through the cable company, but we did that before and almost needed a dial-up ISP as a backup because their service is horrid!

Vic Grace said...

Hi Terri, they told me they would have to put a new pole up or get a more powerful signal and that they would call 'the man' about it. As if they are going to do that for one lone place out in the stix.

Gene Bach said...

Obviously you're talking about satelite connections? We have DSL available here over the phone lines. Doesn't sound like that's an option there.

Mousie/Paisible said...

you just have to take one of my magical bubbles and settle on top of the trees !!!

Siani said...

You must be so disappointed. I hope they find some way for you to get hooked up to broadband soon. I switched back in December, and having a fast Internet connection has made so much difference to what I can do online. I can watch videos, upload pics really quickly, and not have to wait 45 minutes for attachments to download. Fingers crossed!

Shelby said...

ooooooooh I would've said something not very nice...

sorry. I feel your frustration. And I shouldn't have thot to say what I thot I might've thot to say.

hmm.

Jeni said...

Your issues as well as Terri's sound really familiar to me! We can get broadband now through the tv cable and I'm still waffling back and forth on that idea. Just hate the idea of all the e-mail address changes needed, etc., and what if I don't get any better service from that cable method than I do with the crappy dial-up I have now. Verizon has been telling us for over two years now that they are coming - "Can you hear me now?' ya know but so far, close but no cigar. They are about 1/2 mile from where I live which is really frustrating the heck out of me. To wait on Verizon for who knows how many more years or take the plunge with the cable company. Decisions, decisions and I don't handle decisions very well.

Anna said...

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

I love trees, but if they were getting in the way of my internet, well......

Vic Grace said...

Thanks for your commiserations guys!