Sunday, October 07, 2007

Barring Mars a sweet idea or not?

Pretty tacky title but the rest of the post is better!

We have just been watching a program about the exploration of Mars and the plans to send human beings there. My husband and I are divided on the issue.

I feel the money that is being spent on this, which is huge, could be spent alleviating hunger, helping with the global warming issue and improving mankind's lot in general. Therefore I feel it is morally wrong to be spending this money on this particular research. I am not talking about America I am referring to all countries involved. Which brings me to the point that if this were truly about saving mankind and bettering our lot, the countries would all be working together rather than competing. At least I think so.

My husband feels that it is shortsighted not to be considering space research, as mankind may need to leave this planet one day, in case of a global emergency, like the meteorite that supposedly killed off the dinosaurs, or some other catastrophic event.

My argument on that comment is that that is not really saving mankind because most would not be able to go, only a select handful that would be destined to continue the species and who does the choosing?

There is the argument that we may be able to grow food off planet but I say lets fix our own planet before we mess up another.

What do you think?

8 comments:

The Egel Nest said...

I think the wife is always right...at least that is what my wife tells me...

But on the subject, we can't even get reliable phone cell service...we are not going to mobilize any large scale population of Mars anytime soon...We can't even keep the heat shield tiles from malfunctioning on the space shuttle...and that only goes a little ways into orbit...Mars...I don't think so!

That is what i think! :)

Bradley
The Egel Nest

janeywan said...

I think their doing it because they know at the rate we're going this wonderful planet we live on is doomed!

I wouldn't want to live on Mars!

latt├ęgirl said...

Vic, you are 100% right... they have robot vehicles on Mars collecting data, I don't see why we need to spend billions more when we need to take care of our own planet. I can't for the life of me understand why the powers that be are so short-sighted or blinkered to reality.

Jeni said...

I suppose there is the logic of outer space exploration being comparable to Columbus and his journey to find the riches of the east and all that. But, to explore/research this with really big ideas in mind now, tone it down a bit, balance a little with a lean towards helping society here today, the here and now, holds more importance to me than really forging ahead, spending kazillions of dollars for what may still take centuries to be doable -definitely can't foresee this as in my lifetime ya know -nor even in my kids most likely.

Saedel said...

I agree with you, Vic. If it were up to me, I'd rather spend the budget helping other people first. I say protect our planet first before reaching out to other members of solar system.

And by the way, do you know that a new planet was recently discovered? :P

-Saedel

Vic Grace said...

Thanks for answering folks.

It seems to me if governments asked the people the vote would not to send humans to Mars but help the humans on earth. But of course they never ask the people do they?

Anna said...

I agree with you. It seems such a pointless waste of time and money to focus on space exploration and research. A little effort here, on this planet, could help so many more people.

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Perhaps by learning about the other planets in our solar system, we will thus learn how to take care of our own planet. Money isn't the issue for solving a lot of our environmental problems, it's lack of knowledge on the subject.

Science is important to study, it's how we learn about how things in nature work. If anything, money that's going into all these damn wars should be earmarked into solving the problems you are talking about. The US alone spends over 2 million dollars a day to fund just the war in Iraq...how many hungry people could that feed?