Monday, October 29, 2007

Heads or Tails #11 - Halloween

Skittles has started a new meme for every Tuesday called visit her blog for instructions. Basically she gives us a word and we can do whatever we like with it. This week appropriately enough it is Halloween.

Halloween was not a harmless holiday in times gone by. People in our modern era are mimicking the witches and Druids of old but Halloween's origins are in the Druidic cult. A cult so given over to human sacrifice that when the Romans conquered Britain, they wiped out every Druid they could find.

The Druids were called “men of the oaks” and were a strange clan of men who dressed in white robes. The Druids worshiped the “Horned Hunter of the Night.“ Halloween was sacred to the Druids because their sun-god receded to the underworld on October 31st, which is why darkness increased and light decreased according to their reckoning.

As darkness set in on October 31st, the clan of Druids would put on their white robes and hoods. They would carry sickles as they began a torchlight procession. At the beginning of the procession, a male slave was killed and dragged by a rope fastened to his left ankle. The Druids would walk until they came to a house or a village where they shouted the equivalent of “trick or treat.” The treat was a slave girl or any female to be given to the Druids. If the people refused to give a girl as a “treat”, blood was taken from the dead slave and used to draw a hexagram or six-pointed star on the door or wall of the village. Spirits of the “horned hunter of the night” were invoked by the Druids to kill someone in that house or village by fear that night.

If the house or village gave a girl as a “treat”, the Druids put a pumpkin with a face carved in it in front of the door or gate of that place. Inside the pumpkin was a candle made of human tallow to keep evil spirits away. Thus, the Jack-O-Lantern was a sign that you had cooperated with Satan.

The treats or female victims were taken to Stonehenge where they were raped and killed and then sacrificed on the sacred bone-fire until only glowing embers were left. The bone-fire is the origin of the modern day bonfire. As a matter of luck for winter survival, all villagers were expected to use the glowing embers of the bone fire to light their hearths.

So that is the history of Halloween.

View more participants in the "Heads or Tails" meme.

12 comments:

tegdirb92 said...

very interesting stuff there--I learned a lot from your post. Have a great Halloween.

indicaspecies said...

Interesting and informative post. Thank you.

One thing I am sure of: I'll enjoy Jack-O-Lantern but I'll not cooperate with Satan.

Happy Halloween. :)

Leigh Russell said...

Hi there and thank you for visiting my blog. Keep in touch. My intention is to post a 'thought for the week' related to my writing every week, probably on Wednesdays, although I haven't been sufficiently organised to keep to the Wednesday plan yet. I'll look out for the polar bear...

Bloggers said...

I am never going to have a jack o lattern again!! that is some cool stuff I learned.

Siani said...

Eek! I didn't realize Halloween had its roots in something so horrid. I grew up in a tiny Welsh village which had an ancient stone circle. Some very old local history texts stated that the druids used to worship sun gods at the circle and perform human sacrifices. Thanks for such an informative post. Have a great week!

Misty Dawn said...

I've learned a lot - especially that I am glad that I wasn't a part of Halloween back then!

Anna said...

Good reminder of why I don't do Halloween. Thanks.

Vic Grace said...

I personally do not do Halloween, it was not part of my growing up experience and I never got involved here in Canada. I did not allow my boys to participate. My grandson is allowed to go out however, with his mother, who makes beautiful costumes for him and they both enjoy it.

jenn said...

Interesting. And scary for the girls...
Happy Halloween??

Mary said...

Halloween's roots are based in darkness. Thanks for your informative post.

BTW, I have posted the photos that I told you about, but you will have to scroll down a little.

Blessings,
Mary

Jeni said...

Boy! Those druids sure were a demanding group weren't they?
I wonder if the bone-fire/bonfire has any connection to the coal slag tipples that are often referred to as the "Bony piles" too? Just a thought.

Jay Cam said...

lol wow that is so scary!
im glad I didnt live back then!