Thursday, November 29, 2007

2010 Vancouver Olympic Mascots



  • Miga -- a snowboarding sea-bear inspired by the First Nations' legends of the Pacific Northwest. Miga, described as mischievous and outgoing, is part sea-bear and part orca whale.
  • Quatchi -- a shy and gentle Sasquatch with a long brown beard and blue earmuffs meant to conjure the mystery and wonder associated with Canada's wilderness.
  • Sumi -- an animal guardian spirit, who flies with the wings of the thunderbird, is described as "a natural born leader with a passion for protecting the environment."
Personally I don't like them, they don't have a Canadian feel to them at all. They look like Japanese cartoons to me. The identities of the new mascots were a highly guarded secret until Tuesday. Most Canadians thought the mascots would be a moose, maple leaf, hockey puck, beaver, Canada goose etc.

What do you think?

13 comments:

Jeni said...

I don't like them either - loses the value or beauty of the country in the translation of them into these makeshift cartoons.

Two Write Hands said...

I don't care for them either, but I do appreciate designers/marketers/branders trying to think outside the box. Given the history of the Olympics maybe they thought "mythical" would be a nice touch. Who knows?

Gene Bach said...

They suck. How is anybody going to equate them with Canada?

bloggernoob said...

yeah they look like japanese animation. like picachu and hello kitty.

Cicero Sings said...

We're not impressed here!

Dottie said...

Thanks for stopping by. I have been busy and on blogging hiatus.

Anonymous said...

I agree they look like Japanese characters to me I think it s a shame that they couldn t come up with something better that would relate and describe Canada more accurately.

DR in Japan

dr said...

I agree I think they look like Japanese animation or ( manga ) as they say in Japanese. Its sad to see they couldn t come up with something better that would relate and describe Canada more accurately.

DR Japan

Mrs. Miles said...

I think they are too 'anime' too... not what I'd choose for Canadian, and unfortunately the only thing I think of when I see a Sasquatch is beer, and I don't drink!

latt├ęgirl said...

Too cartoonish, and as you said, very Japanese. I wonder how much the geniuses got paid for this work...

webringnet.com said...

hi Vic Grace, found you blog it interesting. Olympic? we going for it

Saedel said...

Agreed. They look like Japanese cartoons. But at least the facial hair of Squatchi resembles a heart. :P

-Saedel

PS. Do you know what happened to blogger comment? I couldn't find the URL box anymore.

Misty Dawn said...

I totally agree with you - they look more like those Japanese cartoons (anime - or whatever it's called).