Saturday, November 03, 2007

I don't need the stress

Many people really like going to the stores and browsing for gifts, but I am not keen on shopping for gifts for people. It actually stresses me out. It is not the cost or that I don’t care, but what to buy is always a dilemma for me. I remember when I was a child receiving three copies of “Little Women” one Christmas. Another Christmas a dear old aunt forgot that I was fifteen and sent be a colouring book and crayons. If they had had gift cards in those days it would have made it easer for them and more fun for me.

When my boys reached their teenage years I decided the I would buy gift cards for them on birthdays and Christmas, then they could get whatever they would really like, instead of me guessing. I did not have a lot of money so I did not want to waste it on items that they did not want. We would go out together and have a fun day exchanging their holiday gift cards and then go out for a meal to celebrate their purchases.

I am to have a new grandchild soon. They know it is to be a boy and they already have one little son, so I told them I would buy a gift card, so they could get what they needed for the baby. It made so much more sense than getting duplicates of things they had saved from the first baby. I know my son wants to do a few changes in the baby’s room so a Home Depot card will come in handy for him and my daughter-in-law likes to browse the internet for her shopping, and now the Canadian dollar is so strong it opens up a whole new shopping arena for her.

The nice thing about it too is that I can purchase these gift cards online and that is all my shopping done, gas saved, blood pressure fine and I have the knowledge that I gave what they really wanted.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I can really relate to what you said about shopping for gifts being stressful! Gift cards would make for excellent things to give my kids -especially the older daughter as I never know what she wants or needs much less what she likes. Well, that's not entirely true, as I know she wants virtually any type of clothing but for her to be satisfied, it has to contain a really "high cost" brand name with it and that just ain't ever gonna happen with MY budget! My older grandson though - I have a deal worked out with him - he tells me which books he likes, etc., and that's what I get him for birthdays and Christmas.

Misty Dawn said...

I actually prefer gift cards, so I can decide what I want/need. Unfortunately, every time I mention giving gift cards or money for Christmas, my husband always responds with "That's SO impersonal!" Oh well.