Friday, May 16, 2008

More haste less speed

I have found this proverb to be so true in my life. It is inevitable that the faster I try and accomplish a job the longer it seems to take. I stumble, fumble and generally bumble about and find it has taken as long or longer than if I had approached the task calmly.

This morning for example, I decided it was time to change the sheets on the bed. Now that is a simple and regular chore but I wanted to get it over with as I had something else I wanted to do. I started by putting the fitted sheet on the wrong way so had to take it off again. The top sheet would not line up straight and I put the wrong pillowcase on the wrong pillow. (We have two pillows each so I have another set just for the bottom ones.) I tripped over the bedspread as I was throwing it quickly on the bed and hit my shin on the metal bedstead. Classic, if I had approached this simple job the way I usually do I would have done it so much quicker.

A proverb is a simple and concrete saying popularly known and repeated, which expresses a truth, based on common sense or the practical experience of humanity.

Check this link for some unusual ones.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Ain't that the truth! I was making a dessert for Mother's day, got in a flap and a hurry and messed up on ingredients! It's a wonder the dessert turned out tasty at all ... but it did.

silverneurotic said...

I think my mother broke her overhead like making her bed...many years ago. As for me, I can't seem to speed through any task. I have my own speed and everyone around me just has to deal with it. lol!