Wednesday, June 04, 2008

I would like to take a closer look

We get so many birds around here I have often thought it would be great to have some birding binoculars. From my living room window I can make out several flashes of yellow in our willow tree but my husband and I often contemplate exactly what bird it is. Likely they are some type of warbler but there are so many varieties that a pair of binoculars would make identification a lot easier.
Even with the birds we know, like the Stellar's Jay pair that have made a nest in the entrance way, it would be great to have a pair of binoculars because then I could keep an eye on them from a distance, as it is I have been very careful not to disturb them, although a squirrel has been tormenting them a bit and they might re-locate.
Last winter we saw what we think was a snowy owl hunting beside the road as we drove out of the village. It was difficult to make it out clearly against the snow but a pair of binoculars would have made all the difference.

2 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

My binoculars sit by the back door and one of us is always using them.

A good investment ... worth it!!!

Amy said...

I keep a little pair in the cupboard, by the kitchen window (it has the clearest view of the bird feeders). What I like to use most though, is the zoom on my digital camera. I can get a really good close up view and take a picture at the same time!