Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sprouted Grain Bread Recipe For Your Crock Pot

Since I have recently been diagnosed with Diabetes 2 I have been searching out different ways to make bread that will bring down the carbohydrate value. I also like to sprout my own seeds for salads and thought I would like to try sprouted wheat bread which is cooked in a crockpot.

I found this recipe and it is very simple as it is made with only one ingredient.
1 cup wheat berries, sprouter, food processor, and a crockpot with a low setting.
Soak wheat berries overnight. Then rinse and drain the berries three times a day for the next 32 hours or until the wheat berries have sprouted about a quarter inch. Make sure the berries are well drained before processing into dough,they don't need rinsing after they are finished sprouting.
Place the sprouted wheat berries into your food processor and pulse until the berries resemble bread dough and form a ball around the food processor blade.
Remove the ball of dough from the food processor. Shape the dough into 1 small ball. Place the shaped dough into a small Pyrex type bowl that will easily fit into your crock pot.
Place the cover on your crock pot and turn to its lowest setting. Cook the bread for approximately 8 hours or until the bread is a rich, dark brown. The top of the bread may crack and it will have a tough, thick crust on the outside and a moist, brown bread on the inside.
This bread is very rich, delicious and extra nutritious because it uses sprouted berries. Because it is so nutritionally dense, you only need a small piece to accompany your salad or soup entrée. This recipe will serve about 4. Your sprouted grain bread recipe will stay fresh in your refrigerator for about 1 week.
The problem is I don't have a crock pot so on my next trip to town I will have to check out the what is available in our local store.

4 comments:

Amy said...

This looks like a very fun recipe to try! Where do you find wheat berries? I love dense, rich breads - I'm a big fan of the dark, thinly sliced pumpernickle.

david mcmahon said...

I didn't know you could do that in a crock pot!

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to cook in a food processor? Will the crock or container crack?
I am ready to try tonight......

Cicero Sings said...

I was just writing up my post for tomorrow about Essene Bread ... I made some today ... when all of a sudden I remembered you talking about something like this ... so I went back in your blog. Next time I'll have to try the crock pot idea. Did you ever do it in the crock pot? It sure turned out a tasty little loaf. I did it in the oven 350 for 2 1/2 hours.