Monday, August 25, 2008

I am having a go at beading

DSC00480

I have never been much of a person for hobbies but decided that I needed something else to do beside computer stuff so bought some beading basics when near a craft store in Prince George on my last trip. Here is a picture of my first two earring and necklace sets. They were fun to make.

I just bought a beginners kit to see if I would like it, so there was not a great investment. One thing I have against hobbies is what does one do with the stuff when finished, and as there are no girls in my family except me I have no one to give them to.

I have a friend in the village who makes cards, and she does a really beautiful job of it and she sells them in a lot of specialty stores that offer hand crafted items, as well as the local Information Centre which has a local crafter's section. She makes enough to buy her supplies and a little extra besides. So I wondered if I could get aspire to do the same otherwise I can't see the point of it.

I thought I might be able to get some interesting beads in Mexico. So we will see, it might go the way of my partly finished sweater, or the one quarter embroidered tablecloth that I had big plans for, the crocheted squares that I finally gave away for someone else to sew together. Did I ever mention I hate to sew. I glue, staple or tape hems as long as I can get away with it.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

Well, by the looks of the jewelry you made, if you can enjoy doing it some more, who knows, maybe you too can set up a little bit of a sideline business with the crafts -jewelry or beading? Worth a try, provided you haven't already put the supplies you got in the proverbial corner, never to see the light of day again, ya know. I think you did very well your first time at bat -as the jewelry is very pretty.
Look closely at my post tonight too -a little surprise there for you!

Karen said...

They look great! No doubt you can get some beautiful beads in Mexico. I'm like you...a crafting wannabe, but I lack patience for fiddly stuff.

Danielle said...

What an awesome job. I often wonder if beading would be something I would be interested in. I tried quilling recently but it was not for me...too intense.

Tina Holden said...

Great job for a beginner! Nice balance and nice colours. Watch out, Vic, beading is terribly addictive!