Friday, August 01, 2008

Low Glycemic Brownies

Since I am now a Diabetic, I have been looking into ways to cook that do not raise my blood sugar. Actually whether you have diabetes or not you should be trying to keep you blood sugar low. I bought 'Living the GI diet' by Rick Gallop and found this rather unique recipe using black beans.

Beans are excellent for keeping blood sugar low so I thought I would give it a try.I tested my blood sugar 2 hours later, as I am meant to when trying a new food, and the brownies had not impacted it at all and I had had two pieces.

They were delicious, not so high as the traditional brownie but the flavor is great and they passed the acid test, Hubby liked them and has taken some fishing with him and a friend today happily boasting that they were made with black beans. The friend looked a little dubious.

Here is the recipe

1 can (540 ml) black beans drained and rinsed (I soaked my own and cooked first)
1/2 cup skim milk (I used unsweetened soy milk)
1/3 cup liquid egg (I used egg whites)
1/4 cup soft non-hydrogenated marge (I used canola oil)
1 tbsp vanilla
3/4 cup sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Fry's Cocoa)
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of chopped toasted pecans (I used slivered almonds)

Puree beans in food processor until coarse. Add milk, egg, marge and vanilla and puree until smooth.

In another bowl combine sugar substitute, flour, cocoa, baking powder, nuts and salt. Pour bean mixture into flour mixture and combine. Bake in 8" square pan. Preferably non stick.

Bake in 350F oven for about 18 minutes or until center is done.

Cut into 16 pieces.

Now I want to try and adapt this recipe to make Gingerbread which I love. I would use white beans but I don't know how to fake the molasses taste I like so much.

No comments: