Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Heads or Tails - Black or White

Skittles started a meme called Heads or Tails - today the topic is Black or White but I changed that to Black and White.
When I was a little girl I lived with my Aunt in London and there was one television show that she never missed. It was called The Black and White Minstrel show. Probably it could not be on television in these days as it would not be considered correct but I don't think there was anything really that one could take offence with.
The Black and White Minstrel Show won the 1961 Golden Rose Of Montreux. The variety series could almost always guarantee an audience of at least 16 million, but frequently managed to top 18 million viewers. At a time when the variety show was a popular television genre for the whole family, The Black And White Minstrel Show established itself as one of the world's greatest musical programmes on television. The music from the show broke sales records and the stage show was equally popular. Robert Luff's production opened at the Victoria Palace Theatre in 1969 and established itself in The Guinness Book Of Records as the stage show seen by the largest number of people. At this time, the creation had gained considerable international respect and kudos. The Black And White Minstrel Show's success was marked by its regular Saturday night transmissions over a vast period. The programme managed to maintain its freshness, its manic pace and its nostalgic premise on a weekly basis.
www.museum.tv/archives/etv/B/htmlB/blackandwhim/blackandwhim.htm

5 comments:

anthonynorth said...

As a kid I used to watch the British version of this show with my mother, who loved it.
My mother didn't have a racist bone in her body. It was excellent entertainment - and an early casualty of political correctness.

Greyscale Territory said...

Wow! I remember this show being on Australian TV when I was young! There was also a stage show which I didn't see!

Lisa - Life is Like a Box of Legos said...

Interesting all the way around! I'm sorry that I never got to see it.

Shannon H. said...

Living in London would be an awesome experience. I will look into the show when I get home today.

Skittles said...

Despite its political correctness, I bet it would be better than most things on TV these days.

Thanks for playing!