Monday, October 20, 2008

Heads or Tails - Wire

Skittles started a meme called Heads or Tails which I try to participate in but I have missed a few lately, but this week the topic is Wire.

In the 50's my father worked for the Iraq Petroleum Company located in Kirkuk. I would visit him in the summer holidays away from my boarding school in England. One of the things I remember is the club house where everyone hung out and which had a large swimming pool. Due to the turmoil in the country and the raids that would be made from the Kurds into that part of the country there was wire all around the club and pool area and large guns placed every so often and the Iraqi army could be seen everywhere.

During that time a curfew was declared and a friend of my father's had not made it home in time and was shot, not fatally but he took some time to recover. Life was getting more precarious and the whole compound where we lived was surrounded with wire also.

On July 14, 1958 we heard over the radio that King Faisal had been assassinated in Baghdad. Shortly after that all British personnel were evacuated from Iraq. I was back at school by that time but my father just made it out by the last helicopter. However his days in Iraq where probably my father's favorite topic of conversation.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

12 comments:

Tammy said...

That's scary!

Skittles said...

Oh gosh! I've led a somewhat safe life I guess. Self-centered maybe?

I know that people live in circumstances similar to this all over the world.. but why don't I think about them?

Just curious. How did this impact your life?

anthonynorth said...

You write about interesting times there. Thanks for that.

Karen said...

Wow, what an interesting time in his life. My parents lived in Saudi Arabia for a time.

The Insane Writer said...

Wow. I am glad you and your family and friends are okay. I don't know how I would react in a situation like that. Scared at first I think and then angry.

Cicero Sings said...

My bloglines has not been keeping me up on your posts! When I'm home alone I tend to get a lot more done than when D is home! I don't know if I'd like to be out in the boonies alone with a big bear hanging around!!! Brave gal you.

I was in Israel once, on a holiday. Guns and wire in a lot of places! When I think of wire, I think of the ingenious toys the little African boys can contrive out of a length of wire.

tumblewords said...

I'll bet you have a ton of memories from those times - have you put them in memoir form? Sounds fascinating.
And, yes, a warm winter place would be a bit of heaven, for sure. Real winter comes here, too. Actually, any minute now...

silverneurotic said...

That's pretty scary.

www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

david mcmahon said...

I'd love top hear more, Vic.

forgetfulone said...

Very interesting. I guess we are so sheltered here in the US, from things like that.

Sandi McBride said...

It just goes to show you that in some countries, there is no peace and probably never will be...and that in itself is the saddest comment of all.
Sandi
ps
Congratulations on Post of the Day mention from David

Catmoves said...

Nice post, Vic. Made me want more. We live in New Mexico where winters are mild and sunny. Compared to your temperatures, we might as well be on the equator.
There's plenty of room for Snow Birds here, too.