Friday, October 24, 2008

I am a fan of Omega 3 because it works

I have been taking Omega 3 capsules for a long time now. I used to suffer from headaches a lot and all I could get from the doctor were pain killers, but they did not solve the problem. My husband suggested visiting a chiropractor and in the course of my visits to her she suggested taking Omega 3 capsules to reduce inflammation of an old neck injury which she felt was causing my headaches. It was like night and day, almost as soon as I started taking the Omega 3 capsules my headaches subsided and now if I get a hint of a headache which may be caused by the neck injury I step up my Omega 3's. I usually only take one but if necessary take 2 or 3 over the course of a day. About a month ago my left leg was painful at the site of an old scar, the doctor told me it was scar tissue that had built up and had become inflamed, so I stepped up the Omega 3's again and it has gone. The doctor told me to take anti-inflammatory pills but I told him I would try the Omega 3 capsules first and he was all for it.

The other thing that I have found them good for is boosting my immune system. I have never had flu so I am not planning to take the flu shot and I almost never get colds. A couple of months ago when I went to Calgary I kissed my hubby goodbye, a nice squishy germy one, you know. Next day he came down with a virulent case of larangytis, but I never got it. He claims he can still feel the effects of that bout of illness and he is usually pretty fit. I believe it was my faithful Omega 3 capsules that gave my immune system the ability to fight of those germs. I am so thankful because I would have felt terrible passing on those germs to my two sons, because they would have had to take time off work and one of them doesn't get paid if he doesn't work.

There is lots of information to be found about Omega 3 on the internet if you are interested.

Also for you Moms and Dads out there you might find the following article interesting from BBC Science.


"Fish oils are supposed to boost our brainpower. But do the facts really stack up? We went in search of the evidence.
Elliot is nine years old. A year ago, he was falling behind in his schoolwork, particularly reading – which he found a struggle. He had little interest in studying and would crash on the sofa to watch TV when he got home from school.

But over the past year, a dramatic change has taken place in Elliot. He has soared through the Harry Potter books and now heads to the library after the school bell has sounded.

Elliot has been taking part in a scientific study on more than 100 children from 12 Durham schools. The children were required to take a course of capsules with their meals for the duration of six months.

“His reading jumped 18 months [over the trial period]. He’s just a lot more interested in everything. He’s even developed an interest in classical music,” says Sheila, Elliot’s mother."

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - The Omega Wave

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

5 comments:

Healthy Oil Guy said...

Omega 3 fatty acids have been found to have very powerful anti-inflammatory effects. This may help reduce your risk for inflammatory conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, asthma and athritis.

Tammy said...

We love fish here!

Chrystal Ocean said...

Vic, it's great to hear that you've been helped by Omega 3's.

I came across an excellent and thorough study on the benefits of Vitamin D for people living with chronic back pain. Wrote about it on my blog, in fact, and later did a follow-up.

Bottom line: It works!

Had been living with chronic back pain for years. Had grown worse to the point of my being bedridden every few days. So when I came across this study and verified its authenticity, I decided to try taking Vitamin D as recommended: 2,000 IU a day. Started my program June 26th.

About three weeks into the program, I began noticing that my walks into town weren't quite as painful as they had been and that I could go further before pain set it. Moreover, from that time onward, there's not been a single incident of my being bedridden. It's been absolutely remarkable.

Still have stiffness in the back, which is doubtful will ever go away, It's due to arthritis. However, to be virtually pain-free is wonderful!

There are a few bouts of pain sometimes, though. So don't be fooled into thinking that all pain will go. However, even that is vastly reduced in its intensity - and always, it's because I've pushed the back too far, forcing it to maintain a position it shouldn't and for too long a time.

Liz said...

Every day I take cod liver oil, evening primrose, glucosamine and ginko biloba. I think the oil and glucosamine help my joints but i'm not convinced the gingko helps my memory!!

Perhaps i should add omega 3 to the list.

Lisa - Life is Like a Box of Legos said...

I'm a huge fan of Omega 3, too - it's been a life saver since I started distance running. Thanks for the kind words last week, things are starting to look up. I'll be posting soon. Cheers!