Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Social Networks

When I first started blogging I joined just about everything in order to promote my blog. MyBlogLog, Blog Catalog, Orkut, Multiply, Facebook and on and on. I don't think I have had that many visitors from any of them. The occasional email advises me that so and so is now my friend and I should check out their site, which I do but rarely is it of similar content to mine. I don't think any one really looks when they click to become your friend it is more quantity of contacts rather than quality of content. I don't go to any of them now.

I think I have made more blogging friends by clicking on links on a blog I visit regularly, after all if we both find a blog interesting then one would assume that we might be interested in each others blog and may strike up an Internet friendship.

Now winter is upon us again I probably will be blogging more and was wondering if there was anything new and interesting in the blogging world that I don't know about.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

Lisa - Life is Like a Box of Legos said...

I agree about your comments - I tried the same things! A few months back, I heard about EntreCard - it's another mechanism for "dropping by" blogs regularly. For me, it has definitely increased traffic and I've made new friends. If you try it, drop your card on my site, I'll return the favor.

rockcreekcreations said...

I also use entrecard. it's free, you earn credits to "advertise" on other's sites. Since being on entrecard, my traffic has gone from a few a week, to averaging 30-40 hits a day.

Thanks for visiting my site from scoutle.

Your life must be interesting living "up there". I live in Wisconsin and think that our winters are cold. I can't imagine being up there. But I'll bet the wildlife and scenery is beautiful.

I'm going to keep an eye on your blOG... :-)

Jeni said...

You know Vic, in retrospect, I agree with your theory about finding more bloggers and more traffic eventually too, via reading others blogrolls and clicking into them. I met you via Gene Bach's blog and the majority of the blogs on my sidebar are ones I have come across via other people's blogrolls. Even the blogs I read that are written by people young enough to be my children, who knows, some could maybe be almost young enough for me to be their grandmother too I suppose -and yet, there are things on these sites that interest me very much, insights, wisdom that so many diverse individuals can offer us and yet, also have many things in common with me too! I think those "meetings" make for a stronger blog readership then overall that the "tit for tat" of Fuel my blog or MyBlogLog and others generally seem to offer.

Cicero Sings said...

Somehow I haven't been getting your blog updates showing in my bloglines! I wondered what had happened to you so went to your site to check it out!

I've only gotten contacts from "fellow bloggers". I don't think I could handle anymore blogs to read ... it's hard to catch up now, if I'm away for a few days!!