Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Heads or Tails - Autumn or Fall Memories

Skittles started a meme some time ago called Heads or Tails and I try to take part most weeks. This week the theme is Autumn Memories which I have been racking my brains over but if I changed it to Fall Memories I came up with something so I hope she doesn't mind.

When my eldest son was about ten he had a bad accident on his bike. stevebike He and his two younger brothers were playing on the bikes in the deserted road where we lived near Powell River BC. They decided to take a run down a slightly steep hill and were having a lot of fun for a while until the two younger brothers came rushing in. Steve had taken a fall. By the time I got there some people had taken him in and called the ambulance. Steve was unconscious as we were driven in the ambulance to Powell River hospital.

The doctor felt there was a blood clot on the brain and Steve was vomiting and convulsing and the doctor was concerned he would not survive the night. Steve was air lifted out of Powell River and was flown to Vancouver Children's hospital. There was not room in the helicopter for me or my husband so I waited at home with the two little ones and my husband took the ferry to Vancouver.

We had been told to expect the worst and I felt I needed to prepare his two brothers for what may happen. I was in a cocoon of calm, I don't know if it was shock but I remember when I was in the ambulance praying a verse from the book of Job "Even though he slay me I will trust Him" only I personalized it to meet our need. It was as if it was happening to someone else's child not mine and even now I am surprised how I was able to go on and meet the needs of my two younger sons while not knowing what was going on in Vancouver.

When my husband arrived in Vancouver which took about five hours by two ferries with a road trip in between he went straight to the emergency ward and asked to see his son. They directed him to the intensive care ward but Steve wasn't there and my husband thought the worst, that he was too late. He rushed back to the nursing station and was told that Steve had just been moved to the general ward, as miraculously he had recovered, and my husband could take him home that same day. Even the doctor and nurses were stunned by his recovery. One little Philippina nurse came and sat on Steve's bed with my husband and told him that she felt it was a miracle as children did not usually survive such an accident.

Steve was a little dozy from the medications they had given  him and the doctor felt he would probably have repeated convulsions and would have to be on medications for the rest of his life, but I thought if God had intervened He probably did not plan for Steve to be on medication for long, if at all. When he got home I gave him the medication diligently at first but I saw that he was like a zombie and could not function normally and could not even do his school work which I was giving him at home. So I started giving him a tiny bit less medication over a period of time until  finally I had weaned him from the medication and he has never had a convulsion since. 

So that is one fall memory that sticks with me.

9 comments:

Skittles said...

You're always welcome to stretch the theme and think outside the box. :)

First I need to say thank God for miracles for your son surely received one that day... But what an awful ordeal for your family to go through.

One of my sons had a bad bicycle accident when he was in 5th or 6th grade. Nothing as serious as this, but there was talk of him possibly needing some facial plastic surgery down the road. He ended up not needing it, though.

I tend to be calm in emergency situations. Once things are OK I feel like I can fall apart and do my "what if-ing" or cry.

I love the posts you do for HoT. They are always so well written and full of information and/or feeling. Thanks for playing this week.

Jeni said...

If that wasn't a miracle, it sure has all the makings of one, don't 'cha think?
Thankfully, none of my kids had any really "life-threatening" accidents growing up -just the normal, run-of-the mill type injuries -broken nose, cut on the hand requiring stitches, broken arm. a fall requiring stitches -and then, later after they were out of school came the cars and a couple accidents but none of them really bad -except to the vehicles! Thankfully!

Anna said...

Wow! That was definitely a miracle. I can definitely see why that memory would stick with you.

Inspiration Alley said...

Definitely an ingenious interpretation of the theme. Those hours whilst you were waiting to hear news of your son must have been very difficult, as must have been the following days but I'm really glad that things worked out ok and there were no permanent problems.

Sue said...

I cannot imagine going through something like this! And I agree that your family was given a miracle.

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope the rest of the week is a goodly one for you. :)

anthonynorth said...

A very traumatic time for you, and I'm so pleased everyone came through it.

Annie said...

i'm so glad your little boy was ok. i can't imagine how difficult that would have been. thank goodness God was looking out for him. great post. x

Cicero Sings said...

"Though He slay me yet will I trust in Him."

I always think of the book "Hinds Feet on High Places" when I hear that verse. Thank God for His faithfulness!

Tina said...

what a touching story. it is a miricle. god must have known it wasnt his time :)

you must have been so devestated to be travelling 5 hours before seeing your little boy.

glad hes ok now though