Friday, November 21, 2008

Meteor seen last night over Saskatchewan

A leading researcher says one of the largest meteors to streak over Canada in the last decade broke up into pieces that may have landed in central Saskatchewan.


I remember seeing a meteor shower in 1995 over Vancouver Island and that was quite a show. Bits must have broken off and there was a light show for quite a long time as the pieces came into the atmosphere. Apparently the pieces can be quite tiny but they radiate so much heat that they can be seen from earth.

When meteoroids strike the Earth's atmosphere at high relative speeds they leave visible trails created when the intense heat caused by friction vaporizes them. These are called meteors ("shooting stars").

Somehow those old songs about shooting stars would lose something if we took those words out and put meteor in their place wouldn't they? Mind you I don't think I realized when I listened to these songs that they were really about drugs. Did you?

The Mamas and the Papas - Shooting Star
You were a shooting star, weren’t you,
moon dust came along and burned you?
You ought to do what you do, you ought to do.
You ought to do what you do, you ought to do.
Across the milky way, waving---
You know your heart is worth saving.
You ought to do what you do, you ought to do.
You ought to do what you do, you ought to do.
Your name in northern lights, glowing;
You know your mind is worth blowing.
You ought to do what you do, you ought to do.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

All these years of being a Mamas and Papas fan and I never heard of that song before now!

Blossom said...

I would have LOVED to see that. When I told my children about it they said, "Let's go find it!" I wish we could...those rocks are worth a lot of money :)

Bong (JB) said...

You were a meteeeoooooooooorrrr...

sound strange indeed. :D

Tammy said...

That's cool. I've only ever seen shooting stars.