Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Have I forgotten something, do you think?

We are driving to Calgary on Monday, leaving around 5am and hoping to arrive that evening. Since I am trying to organize for the six days we are away with my three sons and family, what they should bring, and get ready etc. I have been keeping copious notes and trying to get suggestions from the guys. The two sons we are visiting live together and are bachelors without a much kitchen equipment or furniture to speak of but it is the only place where it is logical for us to gather. My oldest son, his wife and two children are driving from Vancouver and staying with two of the guests who are coming to dinner. We have rented a kitchen suite in a motel as there is no room anywhere for us and we would rather be private than stay with someone anyway.

This is when I wish I had a daughter, she would understand the necessities of knowing what the Christmas kitchen has in stock and need - is that a sexist remark - what I should bring or should be bought, and all the other details of orchestrating meals for five brawny men, four lovely women, three (I couldn't come up with that) two darling grandsons and the Granny, that would be me.

The fellows think this can all be arranged at the last minute and tell me not to fuss, let it be on their  heads if there is no cranberry sauce with the turkey, which may or may not be defrosted in time,  or enough cups for coffee and we drink the wine out of paper cups and eat with out fingers.

The other women, apart from myself are my youngest son's girlfriend, they have been going out for six months now, so could be serious and she is a guest so I don't want to put her on the spot, my eldest son's wife who is doing some baking and we don't talk, don't you know. She doesn't like me, so we politely tolerate each other, or at least I politely tolerate she doesn't talk to me at all,  and guests of my middle son who have done a lot for him and his brother over the years so I don't feel it would be right to ask them to bring things either.

So here is my list so far, and all this stuff has to go into our little yellow car.

  1. Laptop and camera, probably will not get any pictures, we are a camera phobic family
  2. Two turkeys and one large ham
  3. Large roasting pan
  4. Christmas gifts for the children - Transformer toys and a winter jacket for the baby
  5. Four collapsible chairs
  6. Coffee maker plus coffee and my decaf coffee
  7. Popcorn maker plus popcorn
  8. Two large cooking pots plus steamer
  9. Cocoa for hubby's bedtime drink
  10. Stuffing and gravy mix (I usually make these from scratch but it will be too difficult)
  11. Table clothes
  12. Carving knife, and good kitchen knife
  13. My little Miracle blender
  14. Potato Masher
  15. One large plate to put the cooked meat on
  16. Bottle opener plus eight bottles of home made wine
  17. Vegetable peeler
  18. Four cans of salmon
  19. Homemade plum jam
  20. Two jars of homemade pickles

Have I forgotten something, do you think?

6 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Oh my! That is a tall order. I'm sure you'll have fun even if you have to drink out of paper cups! I'm not much help I'm afraid ... I have a hard enough time remembering what to take when I travel myself, and usually end up forgetting something.

Pssst ... Ikea sells glass wine glasses ... 6 for $4.98. How cheap is that?! We bought some when down at the coast so all our guests can have a wine glass even if they are just drinking punch. (For future reference).

jmb said...

I'm sure you have Vic Grace but you can always buy it when you get there.
Remember it's the getting together that counts, so just go with the flow. We all prepare too much food for these occasions.
Have a great trip and a wonderful Christmas Vic Grace.

Joy in the Burbs... said...

I just thought about enough plates and napkins, silverware for everyone. Oh, and butter.
Maybe that's just a southern thing. Can't live without butter.

Merry Christmas and I hope it all works out OK.
Our family lived in one of those motels for a couple of months during a move one time. They stock the little kitchens OK. But you'll be glad you're bringing your own stuff. Especially with the turkey and ham involved.

Oh, and don't forget your clothes.
:)

Hey it's Amy Shipp said...

Oh my goodness! I am sure you will have a wonderful time. Are you bringing Christmas music? It looks like you have Everything else :D
Have fun!! xoxo

Clare Mansell said...

I did have a chuckle at your comment about your son's wife and you not getting on. Aren't families complicated! :-)

Do hope you have a wonderful Christmas... and that you haven't forgotten anything!

Amy said...

Oy, I don't envy you having to haul all of that over! Would you believe my family has had KFC for several holiday get togethers and it was actually a lot of fun! My mother is chronically ill, and for a while there I was chronically pregnant (lol!) and too sick to cook so we did the best we could and kept things easy.