Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Heads or Tails - Fill or Phil

Skittles started a meme some time ago called Heads or Tails and I try to take part most weeks. This week the theme is either Fill or Phil.

When we moved to Parksville, Vancouver Island,  in 1989 we liked to visit the large second hand store that they had there, which helped many people in the area . It was a great place to find almost everything that a young family on a strict budget needed from armchairs to stuffed zebras.

I was perusing the book shelves one day when a loud ringing voice quite a bit above my head announced,

"Hey, I haven't see you before. Hi I'm Phil"

Then he bent down and shook my hand boisterously and off he went. I had no idea that Phil or Flying Phil was a Parksville icon.

Named Flying Phil because of the speed he walked the streets of Parksville, sometimes advertising different stores with a billboard. Phil is  mentally challenged  but that has never stopped him. He adores children and loves to spend time talking to them. Currently he is trying to raise money for ALS research and has his own website and can be found on Facebook.

Everyone knows Phil in Parksville, and the local restaurants and pubs will freely give him coffee or a snack when he comes in. He is a bright shining face of goodwill and welcome to anyone who comes to Parksville.

3 comments:

Skittles said...

What a wonderful post! Stories like this just put a huge smile on my face and let me remember all the good things in this world we live in. :)

Tumblewords: said...

A Christmas story, for sure! Nice post!

anthonynorth said...

It's great to know characters like that are still around.
And many would call him mad. Shame on them.