Monday, December 15, 2008

Heads or Tails - Round

Skittles started a meme some time ago called Heads or Tails this week our writing prompt is Anything Round.
pipe_logo
I am going round the bend trying to learn Yahoo Pipes which is a service designed to gather data from the web and manipulate it mostly through RSS feeds. You can merge data together, split data up, get more or less details and you get to pick and choose what is displayed in the end result, a finalized feed.
It is like programming without knowing the code. There are plenty of pre-made pipes that you are free to clone and make small changes to your specifications but the real satisfaction with pipes comes with the ability to customize them the way you want them to be.
pipesjpgI created my first pipe. It is pretty basic but I have ReadWriteWeb and Lifehacker two of my favourite techy blogs united in it and sending me just their posts on Firefox, Firefox Add-ons, Google Chrome and Web 2, which is basically all I am interested in on their blogs.
This is what the creation of my Pipe looks like, and why I have been going round the bend trying to learn how to do it. I think this is good for the old brain though. Some people learn languages or music to keep their brain active I like to learn new computer tricks.
If you want to check it out go to Vic's Computer Info Pipe
Another pipe I found, which I did not create but cloned for my own use, is for getting all news amalgamated from several sources. If one types in the location one is interested in it shows the latest news for there and surrounding area.
So I typed in the name of my tiny village and the pipe found the news about our local election last month. That is big time news folks in a village of 350 people I am surprised it was found at all. Try it out you might find it fun.

11 comments:

Sue said...

This is the first I have heard of Yahoo Pipes. It sounds like it would drive me round the bend too! Happy HOT day :)

bundleocontradictions said...

Wow, sounds complicated! ...and just the kind of thing I'd love to play with if I had a decent 'Puter @ home!!

Joy in the Burbs... said...

I'm impressed. Didn't know anything about Pipes.
I'm still trying to figure out how to leave a cute little comments phrase at the bottom of my post where the comments link is.
I see it on lots of blogs, but can't figure it out. I did change the one like your "Comments are always appreciated". I wonder why it cuts off the top of it. It does that on everyone's I've seen. Anyway, Keep figuring out these computer secrets we're all glad your doing it so you can tell us about it. :)

Karen said...

How interesting! Sounds like fun but I would need a lot of coffee to figure it out.

Skittles said...

Oh I get all twitchy thinking about trying to get my brain to figure something like this out. Hurray for you for at least trying.. and apparently succeeding. :)

anthonynorth said...

I must admit, I'm useless with too much tech. I just manage basic blogging, and that's about it.

Lisa - Life is Like a Box of Legos said...

Great Info! I've been meaning to lean more about Pipes - it's on the list! Thanks for the helpful link -

Robyn Jones said...

I have never heard of it either...sounds interesting, but complicated...

Vixen said...

That looks too technical, if I try it I might end up going 'round the bend in no time at all.

Happy HorT!

Tumblewords: said...

Sounds interesting - I'll be sure to check it out -

Tammy said...

That sounds kinda interesting. I'll have to check it out.