Monday, December 01, 2008

Searching everywhere for a new home

Since we are told the new mine will be coming in relatively soon we are starting to look for a new place to live. We are not in a rush but don't want to be here when the mine is in full swing. Apart from that I want to move where there is a bit more life and not so much snow although that will be hard in BC unless we go to the lower mainland but that is too rich for us and we do not want to return to Vancouver Island as the ferry to the mainland is so expensive and we hate traveling on it.

We are looking around the middle and south east part of BC area to get ideas. When we go to Calgary at Christmas we will take a tour on the way home and have a look at some towns. No more tiny villages on the edge of the wilderness for me but it has to be somewhere hubby can go fishing and keep his boat and ATV and somewhere I can go for walks without being worried about bears.

We will be looking for a mobile home preferably on a small lot but if we can't afford that it will have to be in a trailer park. The last resort will be an apartment. Not that I mind but that would be hard on my husband.

I love my little home here but I would like to get back to civilization again and not have to drive so far to do anything. My husband says the fishing will be ruined anyway and the peace and quiet we have would be gone so we might as well move closer to a town.

We are actually quite interested in Merritt BC but have to find out how expensive land would be there. Merritt is semi-desert country and can be quite hot in summer and although it has snow and can be cold in winter, the winter does not last 6 months like it does here. Our snow generally comes in October or November and is not gone until end of May or early June. So in one way we are depressed about the idea of a move but on the other excited.


7 comments:

Bong (JB) said...

Change is both sad and exciting. Our prayers are with you on your quest for a new home. :)

Carver said...

Good luck with your search for a new home. I hope it won't be too hard leaving and that you find exactly the right place for you and your husband.

Jeni said...

There's a job I don't envy you for! (And there's a sentence with a dangling whatever too, isn' it?)
Hope you manage to find something that fulfills both your needs and your husbands -social and fishing/boating/outdoor life -and is still affordable for you. Just finding anything affordable seems to be the main challenge in housing searches these days, regardless of where one is interested in living.

Cicero Sings said...

I'll keep my eyes peeled in our area for ya! I quite like our little town and Kamloops is 2hrs 20 min away if you want big, big. Your little place sounds a tad to isolated for me too. D sort of wanted a place further out but I'm glad we are in closer to town ... bus service and all if needed!

Karen said...

I was going to offer to keep eyes open in our area, but CS beat me to it! The fishing is to die around here; there are dozens of local lakes.

jmb said...

Good luck with your search for a home Vic Grace. It is a lot of work I am sure but on the other hand it is an exciting time.

My open roads said...

good luck in your search! there are so many beautiful places around bc to live in, you'll find your special place again, I'm sure.