Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Darn, Dash and D....t I can't get it to work

I put Skype on the laptop but I just can't get it to work. I have tried everything I know to set the audio so I can hear the other party but am unable to do so. I thought it would be useful to have on there for the Mexico trip. Maybe I will go looking for other software for the laptop. I am planning to email to keep in touch most of the time but thought it would be a good idea to be able to phone.

Besides it is the principle of the matter. I can't get it to work and I will bully and worry at it until I do, that is the way I am. Drives my husband crazy as he hears me muttering and complaining to myself and flouncing around in a snit. I just hate it when something doesn't work.

You'd think at my age I would be all peace and serenity wouldn't you, don't believe it for a minute.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

I can relate completely to your attitudinal problems. You know how ticked off I was -still am for that matter -over not being able to figure out what the issues are with google reader, feedburner and my blog! Except I betcha I used a whole lot of very "blue" words when I was playing around here, trying to get it to work.

Cicero Sings said...

Skype works for us though we don't use it anymore ... we use iChat ... but we have Apples. Try again when you are in a different location ... see if it works then. Talking on Skype or iChat takes some getting used to!

jmb said...

Interesting, we got it working on my laptop with no problem. We have been using it for years with a webcam on a desktop and a laptop, but I have also used Skpeout which is using Skype to a regular telephone, not free but very cheap.

There is another service called Sightspeed which is supposed to be very good. I have always meant to try it but never did.

Skittles said...

I have a sneaking feeling you'll be able to figure this out. :)

Brenda said...

We use Yahoo Phone Out to call telephones in Canada, USA and Mexico. It works very well and is cheap, something like 1 cent a minute to Canada and 7 cents a minute within Mexico, the costs go up when you call a mexican cell phone, then I think I paid about 30 cents a minute. The first time you give them your credit card to buy credit, there is a security thing that you have to go through and it would be easier to do that while you are in Canada; although we managed to do it here in Mexico. It can take a couple of days to get through the security thing; but then all works well. It is actually nice that they do the security thing to make sure that no one has stolen your credit card and is trying to use it.
Just google Yahoo Phone Out. Simple to set up and use. We have been using it for at least 2 yrs. or more now and are happy with it.
We use Skype only to call computer to computer with a few friends which is free. You can also do this with Yahoo and also MSN Messanger; but the people also need to have these on their computers and not all people do. We use a combination of all three for typed chat, computer to computer calls and computer to telephone calls.
It seems to me that Skype drops more calls than Yahoo; but that is just my opinion.
Hope this helps or gives you some options.

Gene Bach said...

Hey there. Let me know ehn you have it working. I have Skype here too, although I didn't set it up. The girls did that.