Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Depressing bedside manner

I went to the doctor today, just to get prescriptions so I have enough medication for our trip to Mexico and since my doctor was away there was another doctor filling in. He was pleasant enough but he certainly was a harbinger of woe.

  1. He told me that although my diabetic control of blood glucose was excellent I would inevitably end up on insulin.
  2. He suggested that I go on medication for the diabetes and then I can eat anything.
  3. That I would likely have heart, kidney or eye problems down the line.
  4. That although my blood pressure is like a teenagers don't expect that to last.
  5. The one good thing he had to say was my allergies would probably go away while in Mexico.

My own doctor tells me that if I keep up the good work I will probably live to be a hundred. That is a message I would rather hear and is the encouragement I need to keep watching what I eat and how much exercise I get.

Fortunately this other doctor didn't make me depressed just mad. How many patients, who are not as feisty as I am, has he depressed into giving up the fight against what afflicts them.

9 comments:

Robyn Jones said...

.....wow......With a doctor like that...why bother going? Bet you will be glad when your doctor is back....

Karen said...

He sounds like real harbinger of doom. If your blood sugar control stays tight, you'll avoid all kinds of complications.

Cicero Sings said...

Good grief. I am so not impressed with doctors in general. I know, I know, there are some good ones out there but why is it I've never come across one?

Hmmm, meds for diabetic control ... I just read an article that said their side affects are worse than the diabetes.

Chrystal Ocean said...

My impression of doctors has gone down in inverse relation to the number of experiences I've had of them.

The man you describe shouldn't be a doctor at all, at least not one that interacts with patients. Better he work behind the sounds - say, in a lab.

Joy in the Burbs... said...

Oh Brother! Now I guess he needs to prescribe some medication for all the depressing news he has delivered. I think I'd forget that appointment ever happened.
I know your counting down the days now until your trip.

Joy

Amy said...

Ugh, doctors can either be a blessing or a curse! My current surgeon is wonderful, but the one who did my knee surgery in June was very gruff and grumpy, and of course that made everything 10x more stressful!

As long as you keep after the blood sugar you should be fine for a good long time.

jmb said...

Rather sad considering he does not even know you/your medical history. Why did he not just keep quiet and give you your prescriptions? It's not as if you are not going to see a doctor regularly. Bah humbug.

Tammy said...

He is a rather gloomy gus isn't he.

Danielle Says Hello said...

I'm glad you are a fighter and that you are an informed consumer!!!!