Monday, January 05, 2009

Heads or Tails - 3 things

Skittles started a meme some time ago called Heads or Tails, this week our writing prompt is 3 things I learned in 2008. I can't think of anything this evening that I learned although I sincerely hope that I learned something or it is time to cock up my toes!

Three things I would learn to use or have my husband do so, if  we still had a family at home are these three web applications that provide a fun way to build Internet projects with kids.

Dad-o-Matic, a blog where dads give views, reviews, news, and ideas about parenting.

KaBoom! PlaySpace Finder is a site where families can look for play spaces for their kids in their community. Don't know if it works in Canada though.  It features a Google Maps mashup, the ability to upload photos of the place, a comments section, and an amenities section to tell parents and kids what kinds of structures and toys they might expect upon arriving. One fun way to use the service is to take your kids on a “mission” to map out, photograph, list, and then review playgrounds in the area. It becomes a bit of a science/media making project, as well as a means of improving the quality of the content.

Tumblon is a site that helps parents chart their children’s growth, while also preserving milestones and memories.  The system plans to “learn” about your child through the different milestones you share. Based on this, they will recommend age and other demographic-appropriate products like books, so that parents might find resources to follow along with.

From an article found on Mashable

12 comments:

Anna said...

I hope I learned something, too.

This was a good list.

Skittles said...

Oh hey! Those sound like cool (and useful) sites!

anthonynorth said...

Must try out some of those.

Graham said...

Thanks for highlighting Tumblon. We grow (and learn) from user feedback, so feel free to drop us a line and let us know what you like, and what you'd like us to do better.

Best,
Graham Scharf
co-founder & community manager
Tumblon
graham at tumblon.com

Vicki said...

I think it's so great that your three things were about children. Great post!!

Tammy said...

I'm going to have to check out tumblon. Thanks!

Tumblewords: said...

I'll check these sites out for the 'little people' I know! Thanks!

Misty Dawn said...

Those sound like very useful sites! Good finds, my friend.

Annie said...

Thanks for the nice shout-out to the KaBOOM! Playspace Finder! We've linked back to your post here.

Have a great and playful day!

Annie Lynsen
Manager, Online Content & Community Development
KaBOOM!

Lisa - Life is Like a Box of Legos said...

Great list!

Karen said...

Those are very cool things!

Robyn Jones said...

That Kaboom is cool...it does work in Canada...at least in Regina....