Monday, January 12, 2009

Heads or Tails - Bottle

MerseysideImage via WikipediaSkittles started a meme some time ago called Heads or Tails, this week our writing prompt is Bottle.

My husband was born in Cheshire England but his accent is closer to a Scouse from Merseyside, Liverpool, England. His accent is highly distinctive. A person from Liverpool is called a Liverpudlian, but are more often described as Scousers and are noted for the fast, highly accented manner of speech, with a range of rising and falling tone.


There are several words that irritate me when he says them. Bottle is one of them. When he says it the tt's are completely absent so it is bo'le. Coming from my background that grates on the ear somewhat. Also the letter H is always said as haich rather that aich and any sentence that includes the phrase 'isn't there' comes out as 'isn't thee'.

The word Scouse was originally a variation of "lobscouse", the name of a dish of lamb stew mixed with hardtack eaten by sailors.  The dish was traditionally the fare of the poor people, using the cheapest cuts of meat available. 

So he may say "Our Vic isn't thee a bo'le of wine with our scouse".



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

12 comments:

Skittles said...

Men are hard enough to "understand" anyway. LOL!!!

To my untrained ear this sounds a bit like the accent Eliza had in My Fair Lady. Am I even close?

Alice said...

I love accents. I would actually have to hear your husband say such a sentence to agree or disagree with you here. Next time it irritates you, though, you might think about when my husband says the same thing... it sounds like " ", because, well, I don't have one of those animals. LOL.

Have a most wonderful day, Vic.

anthonynorth said...

I've known many Liverpudlians during my life, especially whilst in the RAF. Many have been real friends.

Tina said...

scouser eh? lol i know it well being in the Uk. I bet he comes out with some words that sound funny with his accent ;)

Tricia said...

Funny what bugs us isn't it. Your husband's accent sounds like it could be fun to listen to for awhile, even if I never understood a word he said.

Tammy said...

My husband hates it when I say winda instead of window, pilla instead of pillow and burrow instead of bureau.

Liz said...

I'm trying to talk in a scouse accent so i can see what you mean but though I start as scouse, i end up as geordie (newcastle)!

We have a man who comes to zac's and I'm not sure what his accent is but I only understand about one word in three! There's only so often you can say, 'pardon?'

Robyn Jones said...

LOL! Great post...I agree with Skittles...I can barely understand my hubby half the time without an accent!! Have a great day!

Tumblewords: said...

Interesting! Sounds quite fascinating...

Anna said...

That was definitely a unique take on the theme.

Very interesting.

Patsy said...

I was thinking the same thing Skittle wrote about it sounding like Liza from My Fair Lady. Or at least that is the way this Texas girl with her own accent read it.
I got a big smile from reading this. I dished on my hubby just last night -- totally different topic but none the less a blog about him.
So much fun to have husbands to give us things to blog about. :)

Karen said...

An administrator at my last workplace did the haich thing...with his posh Cheshire accent. Used to irritate me no end!