Monday, February 23, 2009

Lazy days

Up at 8am, breakfast at the marina at 9am where I check my email and we take a walk.  The odd shaped mountain in the back is called Tatakawi or Teats of the Goat. We take an afternoon siesta and then aDSC00592nother walk along the beach looking for shells. After we make supper we take a walk or drive before bedtime. That has been pretty much the order of the last few days, exhausting isn't it?

The little house we rented is about a block from the beach and we can see the ocean through the front door. We are situated in the central part of San Carlos and it is nice in the evening to wander down the main street. There are many bushes covered in flowers which hang over walls and are incredibly beautiful. I don't know what they are but the colours are pinks, reds and purples but they have no fragrance.

We are about due for another dinner out as we have been buying food and cooking it at home. Food is so much cheaper here than where I live in BC. I bought a tray of chicken breasts for about $5 CAD which would have cost me about $15 at home. There are a great selection of cheeses at a fraction of the price in our part of the world. There are quite a few foods I don't recognize so we are experimenting with them although I will leave the tripe alone. My parents would eat tripe simmered in milk but it has no appeal for me although it is readily available here.

We have decided to make Mexico our winter home, we think we can do it on our pension plus pull a little from our savings and hubby says he can pick up an odd job around our village in the summer months. We think we will leave Canada at the end of November and return in early May. The only cost that we are still trying to come to terms with is the medical. We have to see if we can find a company that is less expensive than BCAA which we used this time but have since been told is one of the more expensive ones. Also our doctor in Canada told us our drugs would  be cheaper here.  They are quite expensive at home. We have to look into these things yet.

I don't know if we will return to the same spot every year but we both like it here. I find the cities too big and the traffic a bit frightening but it is okay here. After our part of Canada where we can drive a long time without seeing another vehicle it is a bit unnerving being a passenger in a Mexican city. Perhaps being the driver is not so bad. Hubby wants to bring his truck next year so he can put his zodiac boat and trailer in the back. That will depend if the gas prices are still reasonable. The cost of renting a boat is a bit too high for us and he would like to go fishing in the bay. Not for big fish but jigging for bottom fish.

There is quite a bit of charity work that goes on by the Canadians and Americans who winter here. Hubby is interested in getting involved in a building project next time and I will have to see where I could fit in. There is a lot of wealth in Mexico but there is terrible poverty too and it only seems fair if one comes regularly to a country to try and give back a little.

It makes blogging quite difficult not having an Internet connection. When we go for coffee I have just about enough time to check our email, upload pictures and publish a post but I might get more organized in time. I think on the whole though life is healthier in that I am getting out more, something I did not do much at home.

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Glad that you are enjoying yourselves.

Jeni said...

Boy, talk about losing track of time. I sure did that with your trip. I don't know why but I had it in my pea brain that you were staying longer in Mexico. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you'll be returning back home to regular internet connectivity and that kind of stuff, but boy, your vacation sure did fly by, didn 't it?
Sounds like you'll be doing a bit of weighing of the pros and cons though for the next few years as to where you'll be spending your winters. But at least, you got some good, stable knowledge with this trip.

Peace

Joy said...

I'm glad you all are liking it there. Are you feeling safe? They have had some pretty disturbing articles in our paper about Americans in Mexico and the dangers.

Since we live in Texas, I know several people who travel to Mexico for dental work and prescriptions. I'm not sure about the prescriptions though, I think I was told the drug companies weren't held to the same standard as they are in the States.
We have picked up prescriptions there before like a Z-packs to have on hand and stuff like that.


Joy

Cicero Sings said...

I'm so glad you are enjoying your time in Mexico. I've never been. The picture sure looks inviting.

jmb said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Vic Grace. You must be going crazy not being so much online. What did we do before the internet?

We have had BCAA medical for years. Let us know what you find cheaper. When you get to our age, it is very costly in any event.