Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Heads or Tails - Common

Some time ago Skittles created a meme called Heads or Tails, this week the theme is Common

 

We arrived back in Granisle, BC on Saturday, March 21, after our long trip down to Mexico. It took us seven days to drive back as we took the scenic route on Hwy 191 most of the way through the States.

Unfortunately on our return we found that our water is frozen. My husband blew out the pipes before we left and did all that was necessary, he thought, but somehow there must be a chunk of ice blocking the flow. So what is that to do with Common.

The common tasks that I take for granted are now twice as hard. Luckily we can get water from our friend in the village and there is lots of snow outside but it has made things more of a challenge. For example we haul in snow to defrost on the wood stove to put in the toilets to flush them. I have a large pot of clean water on the wood stove to have ready for washing dishes as I can’t use the dishwasher obviously.

I take two jugs full in the morning to have a faux-shower. I stand in the shower and pour one on myself, shampoo and soap down and then pour the other over. It works quite well although I miss my hot shower but I am conserving water for World Water Day which was on the 22nd but in my case it may be for weeks.

Luckily we have a very large jug which my husband gets filled every morning so we do have access to water and our friend has let us do laundry at his place so that is a relief.

Under normal circumstances water shortages are not common in my part of the world and I can now appreciate how difficult life is without this precious commodity being commonly available.

11 comments:

Skittles said...

Welcome back!!! I wish you hadn't come home to frozen pipes, but I'm sure worse things can happen. Right?

I think I'd need two buckets to rinse off with.

Hope it gets fixed soon. :)

Tumblewords: said...

Good luck! It's amazing how difficult life can be without our cherished possessions! When the electric goes out here, I have zilch. No heat, no water, nothing. Yow, I don't like it.

Joy said...

Welcome Home. Glad you made it back safely. Bummer about the pipes. Hope things start to thaw soon.

Joy

Violet said...

Just when you wanted to sit back and enjoy the comforts of home...

Hope the thaw comes soon.
VioletSky

Brenda said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound.
Sorry about the pipes being frozen. We also lived in a mobile home and had done the same as you before we left the first winter. We also returned to frozen pipes, apparently there was a low spot that didn't blow out. We got someone in to thaw them out for us and in a couple of hrs. we had water. Good luck.

Karen said...

Oh my gosh. That sounds like it was awful.

Karen said...

Welcome back! Sorry you've come home to frozen pipes though...that's annoying.

Jeni said...

Well, as William Bendix, in the role of Riley on The Life of Riley would have said, "What a revolting development this is!" What a bummer to get home and find your water system frozen. About 30 years ago -actually 32 years this past January -the water system serving our entire town broke down due to a water main pipe that ran under an overpass on the nearby interstate, froze and broke! Luckily, we had lots of snow that I melted on the stove to use for dishes, the bathroom, etc. My husband and I were able to go to a building owned by the company he worked for then that had showers there so we could bathe there. We would take the kids along too and hose them down there as well. I even ended up on the local tv news over the mess this broken line caused for our whole village. Hope you get things thawed out and that you don't need a bunch of expensive repairs as a result then too! Oh -and welcome home -glad you're back, safe and well, relatively sound.

Rinkly Rimes said...

We forget how uncommonly difficult the common tasks can be at times.

Liz said...

Oh no! When our water was turned off for a day it drove me crazy. I do hope your problem can be sorted or that the thaws will come soon.

Haven't been round for a while so i'm off to catch up on your Mexico trip now!

janeywan said...

I know the feeling, our pipes froze last year. We normally don't use a lot of water so it's not a real shock when we have to carry it from the outside hydrant, heat it etc.

Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. In one of my laptop crashes I lost lots of contacts, bookmarks and favorites. I like the new feature blogger offers to follow, which I now am.

Mexico sounds fun, been a few times in years past, time for another visit.