Monday, April 27, 2009

You don't expect murder to happen around the corner

We are such a tiny village only 350 people but today the village is all agog with the news of a murder which took place last night.  It happened to a  relatively new person to the village who bought a house last year although I have never met them and I don't think I have even seen them.  

We don't know the details yet but the police are all over the place and the forensic people are there all dressed in white and people who live nearby are being questioned.

Since I don't have TV and our radio mostly crackles we don't hear too much news and unless I find it online I don't know about it. In some ways that is a blessing but one doesn't expect murder to happen around the corner.

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Boy, you are so right about small towns and murders being very unexpected in them!

Anna said...

No, that is definitely not something you would expect. Small towns are supposed to be safe!

VioletSky said...

I've never lived in a small town, but yes, I've always had that impression that they are suppose to be "safer" than big cities.

BUT, I also divide the city up into small neighbourhoods, so if something happens in the far NE corner, it might as well be in another city as far as I'm concerned. When I hear of a stabbing or murder that happens on a familiar street or near me, then suddenly, it feels too close - and just as unexpected as what you are sensing. It is shocking.

Then again, I also watch alot of British murder mysteries - a lot of murders go on in idyllic Midsomer.

Joy said...

That is quite unsettling to say the least.

btw.I just noticed your 'coming out of the closet' name. My grandmother's name is Bernice. She pronounces it Bernuse not berneice. How do you say yours.
I never new the meaning. I'll have to tell her.

Joy

Cicero Sings said...

No, not something you'd expect in your small town. Yes, unsettling.

jmb said...

It does give one a huge shock doesn't it? We all felt that way when Wendy Ladner was murdered just up the street from us in Vancouver. Not that murders are so uncommon nowadays in Vancouver, but not of ordinary people out jogging.