Thursday, May 14, 2009

Doctor's Visit today

Had to go for the dreaded PAP today but doctor and I survived it. I think this will be the last time I have to have it, he thinks. Also I had the results back from my last A1C test for diabetes and my numbers were really good 5.7%. My blood pressure was 108/64 so he thinks I will be around for a while yet.

We are fortunate to be able to take advantage of the health care system and we do. I have to go for a mammogram next month. Hubby has to go for his annual PSA check for prostrate. These tests are available and it is up to us to take advantage of them. Most cancers if caught early can be treated now.

Along with exercise and diet taking these tests all contribute to a longer healthful life. Exercise is a bit of a challenge but I generally do walk for at least 1/2 hour a day.

One gripe I do have about the Canadian system is that the health care is provincial not federal so if you travel into another province you have to get additional insurance coverage. It seems to me it should cover the whole country like the UK.

We have been getting all our tests done early so we will be ready to leave at the end of November for Mexico.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Good blood pressure. I'm on B.P. meds and I went to the dr. this week too. My blood pressure was 99/60. I haven't had bp that low in ages. I must be relaxing.

Are you happy over all with your health care in Canada. I have no idea what will happen to our healthcare system here in the state.
Anyway, glad you got your PAP done and over with.


Joy