Sunday, May 31, 2009

Two baking experiments

DSC00770

You may wonder what these are. The one on the left is flax bread and the other is chocolate cake. I am always experimenting with oddball recipes that fit into my diabetic diet.

The chocolate cake is absolutely delicious and has almost no carbs as it is made with coconut flour and although it does have some sugar the amount of fibre in coconut flour (61%) slows down absorption into the blood stream. It has a lot of eggs (health benefits of eggs) contrary to what you may think whole eggs are a wonder food so don’t worry about them and butter is 40% monounsaturated fat so not that bad, better than marge anyway. I served the chocolate cake to company the other day with raspberries and whipped cream and my blood sugar didn’t do anything it shouldn’t and they didn’t realize it wasn’t made the traditional way.

Here is the recipe from Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife ND

3/4 cup butter or coconut oil (coconut oil is now discovered to be very good for you)

1 cup of cocoa powder (not chocolate powder the real stuff)

12 eggs

1/2 cup coconut milk or whole milk

1 cup of sugar plus 3 tspns of liquid or powdered stevia or you could use Splenda

1 tspn salt

1 tspn vanilla

1 cup SIFTED coconut flour (found at most health food stores)

1 tspn baking powder

Melt butter and mix in cocoa powder and set aside, In a bowl mix eggs*, milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in cocoa mixture. Combine sifted coconut flour with baking powder and whisk into batter until lump free.

*The recipe did not call for this but I separated the eggs and whipped the whites and then put them in with the cocoa mix, I think it made a slightly lighter cake. Pour into a greased pan and bake at 350F or 175C for approximately 35-40 minutes of until knife comes out clean. You could use the recipe to make brownies, just add nuts and bake in a square pan.

The flax bread (on the left of the picture) has no flour either. I made it with virgin olive oil and it is a little strong tasting but a lighter oil would be better. The recipe is very easy and can be found at Low Carb Diets. The recipe is for focaccia bread but I baked it in a small loaf pan and cut it length ways for a sandwich. Since flax is almost all fibre it will not raise your blood sugar either.

I can buy a sprouted wheat bread at Overwaitea called Body Conscious which is only 8 carbs per slice but it is getting too expensive so I have been trying out substitutes. I have not seen this bread anywhere else, but a rule of thumb sprouted wheat breads are generally a little easier on the blood sugar as sprouting uses up the natural sugar in the wheat but they are not as low in carbs as Body Conscious bread.

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'll have to check out that low carb website. My husband is doing Atkins right now.
Everything looks good. :)


Joy

jmb said...

I buy Silver Hills sprouted bread all the time. It is very expensive but each week they have a special on one of them at Stongs so I buy whatever is on special. I used to buy the one you are talking about, with half the carbs but now I buy the others with 17 g but only have one slice per day.

It is quite a problem juggling all these things.

Liz said...

That is a serious number of eggs!