Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Heads or Tails - Motion

Skittles has been running a meme called Heads or Tails for some time now and this week the theme is Motion.

180px-Barn_Swallow_800

I have been watching lots of motion the last few days as there are several barn swallows swooping and diving in over our property . They appear to be deciding on which of the many boxes my husband had built and put up under the eaves of his workshop several years ago. They have been checking out the real estate for a couple of days now but this afternoon I saw the first furnishings of straw arrive so I guess it is a done deal with at least one of the boxes.

I hope they settle, and bring family and friends,  because it is estimated that swallows eat 1000 bugs per day and bug season is just about upon us and as we are surrounded by trees and bush we have a lot, especially black flies.  We have been hoping for over five years, when he built the boxes, for summer visitors but this is the first year they have come.

Every year thousands of swallows arrive and nest down in the village but they have never made their way up the hill to nest, we are about another 600ft up from the village and that seems to have been a problem, I don’t know why. We are both quite excited about it and look forward to watching them and the babies.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

I wish I had some barn swallows here. The bugs are so bad and it's just the beginning of summer. Ughhh!

Skittles said...

Hurray for the Swallows. Hurray for your husband making the nesting boxes. Hurray for new neighbors that will eat your bugs!!! :)

Joy said...

Glad the no vacancy sign is out now. That would be fun to watch them. I wish they would come eat our mosquitos.

Joy

Danielle Says Hello said...

Stopping by to say hello ;) Good to hear from you. I have been quite out of the blogging loop lately...hope summer slows down our schedule a bit...looking forward to the lazy days of summer.