Thursday, June 18, 2009

I need a new life

I am going to whine today. I am really bored of life right now. I didn’t think I would ever say it but retirement is not what it is cut out to be. If I could find a job I might consider it but there is nothing to be had out here. The volunteer positions available in the village are not many and they are year round commitments, and we will not be here for five months. It may sound snooty but I haven’t met any women in the village that I have common interests with. I don’t care for bingo, darts or carpet bowling. I am ready to tear my hair out today. There are two villages relatively nearby, about an hour and half drive and I have exhausted what they have to offer and Smithers is further still and I went there on Monday, they don’t even have a Wal-Mart.

Hubby is gone fishing with his buddy and if he is not doing that he is off earning money by doing odd jobs, and I wouldn’t want to stop him doing either. He enjoys both so much. He likes it here although he is willing to move if we can find a place that we can afford, we both like and he can fish and I can do something other than piddle about the house.

Today I swept and dusted, listened to my bible tape while I walked for half an hour, watered the flowers that did not get enough rain yesterday because they are somewhat undercover. The rest of the day I poked about the internet. Basically my return to Facebook is for some interaction.

I have been keeping myself busy sewing but that is just about finished, I have made all sorts of jewellery which is in the Information Centre waiting to be sold, hopefully. Now what?

What concerns me is that I am only 62 I have every chance of living another 20 or even 30 years. This can’t be all there is. Usually I am relatively content but the last two months I have been really restless and I have been overeating the last few days out of boredom. I am careful not to eat anything to raise my blood sugar but I am packing on the calories with nuts, cheese and stuff like that, although I have not gained weight as yet, actually I lost a few ounces, but I will have to get it together soon or I will.

I used to volunteer as Treasurer at the library but gave that up because I could not be available all year. It was a huge commitment and I was many times way over my head as I have never even done bookkeeping before.  I would love to help someone with their computer or help some of the women here who haven’t got a clue about nutrition. However the library and the local school offer free computer lessons and very few go to those as it seems my age group aren’t particularly interested and I am not allowed to help anyone with their nutritional choices as I am not qualified and we have a nutritionist that comes in to the clinic once in a while and no one shows up anyway.

So I have had my whine I won’t do it again.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Wish I knew what to tell you. School usually need volunteers anytime they can get them. But I'm sure the kids are out for the summer.
It sounds really isolated where you live. I hope you find a good connection close by.

Joy

Liz said...

I hope you find something. What about online proof-reading or something? Is that available and does it pay? I don't know.

What about your church? Any activities you could help with there? Or set up?

Any dogs that need walking?!

But feel free to whine! We all do it sometimes (i'm currently whining about my scales which are definitely lying to me!!)

Jeni said...

Boy, you really do need something to do to keep yourself occupied. My Grandma had a saying -something about idle hands being the devil's playground or something like that. No, I don't think you'll get that far out of line but do a little hunting around and maybe you can find something you enjoy to make your day full, things a bit brighter then for you in the process.

jmb said...

It's not easy is it? Hopefully you will get over this. I have been retired for ten years but still have managed to keep myself occupied which is much easier in a big city that's for sure.

Whine away and get it all out of your system, we can sympathize.

Cicero Sings said...

Sorry to hear you are in a funk! It sounds like life in the bush isn't for you! I would be worried about the bears myself, especially the grizzlies but there are very few bears where we are and no grizzlies.

I've been retired only 5 years and haven't hit boredom yet. Life most certainly isn't boring with Mingus around!! My, but I didn't know a puppy would be quite SO much work.

Don't worry about sounding snobbish ... I know where you are coming from!