Sunday, June 14, 2009

Why can't they agree on women's clothing sizes

Today I was sorting through some of my clothes so I could make room for three more thrift store finds and started looking at the sizes in my closet. I have blouses marked M, some marked XL or X1, some are marked 14, 16 and 18 and one top marked 10 and they all fit me. I have jeans ranging from 12 to 16 but when I recently made a pair of pants I cut it out at size 14 and it fit. Why this inconsistancy?

My husband can walk in a store and buy clothes and walk out without trying them on, his sizes always seem the same but I can't they are all over the map.

When I bought some T-Shirts last summer I fit a size 10 and I mentioned to the sales woman that the sizing must be wrong as I have never been a 10 and she said that some clothing companies are changing sizes so heavier women will think they still fit into a smaller size. Do they think we are fools? I don't consider myself very overweight, about ten stubborn pounds that nothings seems to shift but at 62 maybe those ten are OK but I don't like not being able to just walk into a store and buy something without having to try the darn thing on. It also makes reading sewing patterns difficult so I end up cutting things to big and gradually fitting them.

One of life's little annoyances.

6 comments:

Smalltown RN said...

Oh I hate shopping for clothes now...I know exactly what you are saying I was hanging laundry on the line and I noticed that I had three pairs of pants on the line all that I wear on a regular basis but all of varying sizes....small, med and large....so no I can't for the life of me figure it out and hence I don't buy clothes very often as I have no idea what size I am anymore...and well it's just to darn frustrating and depressing...

SizeTracker said...

Hi Berni,
I think that designers/brands want to have their own style or fit, or appeal to a certain clientele. By doing this though, they make it incredibly difficult to find thinks that fit. Of course, I will hunt for the right fit to suit my body type, while my husband doesn't seem to mind a loose-fitting t-shirt - any old size will do. Thanks for the post.
Stormy, SizeTracker Blog

Joy said...

I'm totally with you on this one. I wear a size 4 in one particular brand. Of course they are trying to psych us out. There is no way I can normally pull a 4 off of a store shelf and be able to fit it.
My closet is as crazy as your. From 4 - 10's.
I agree its frustrating.

Joy

Liz said...

I am sure that companies are making their clothes bigger but with smaller sizes. Still I won't complain as it makes me feel good (even if I know they're fibbing!)

Lisbon Accommodations said...

Nice post!

Now a days lot of designs have arrived in to womens fashion style. But one of the key items every woman should have is a pair of jeans that flatters your figure and can be dressed up or down. Women in jeans looks sexy and gorgeous.

Womens Clothing said...

I'm glad to have visited your blog and good to know you! I find it interesting and informative.