Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Fire danger throughout BC

As we came home from church Sunday we could see smoke from fires across the lake, but no one lives over there so I suppose it will be allowed to burn out. There are a few small fires around us but so far nothing for us to worry about. It is a bit hazy and you can smell  smoke.  There are planes going over every hour or so I assume to check for fires. We don't usually have planes overhead so that is why I think they must be to do with the fires. We are in a the very high danger zone not in the extreme. Over 6000 people have had to evacuate their homes some having to be airlifted out by helicopter.  Yesterday we had a huge storm here which poured rain for at least half an hour so that was a real blessing and will have helped somewhat but everything is so dry and the undergrowth is crunchy to walk on.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

4 comments:

VioletSky said...

I was looking you up on a map earlier -- glad that you are safe. And hope you stay that way.

These fires must be the scariest events to live through.

Jeni said...

This is the first year in a long time that our region has not been under any type of alert -pertaining to use of water and/or taking special precautions because of the area being overly dry! Almost seems really strange to have that happen as normally by this time of year -sometimes well before this -water usage is restricted and by now there are often several forest fires and such that have happened. I'm not complaining about the amount of rain we've had here -well, yes I am at times because the wet weather and that damp cold that accompanies it often fires up every joint, bone, muscles, etc., in my body and makes me very stiff and achy but overall, though I do prefer lots of sunshine, I'll be satisfied with the extra rainfall too.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I have been wondering how the fire situation was in your area. It must be very scary as thing can get out of hand very quickly.

Here in Ontario it has been very wet and cool this summer. There are not many fires which has allowed about 800 of our fire fighters to come to BC. I cannot imagine a harder job.

Liz said...

I'm glad you had the rain. Keep safe!