Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I love saving money

Microsoft security Essentials

Image by nDevilTV via Flickr

The virus protection on my laptop computer is due to elapse on October 16 and I was preparing to download an update which would have cost me about $80. Also while I am away in Mexico the virus protector on the desktop would expire and I was planning to download a free one like AVG to be available when I first went on the internet when I come back. AVG is good especially for a free program but does not handle malware as well as it could. I had AVG on my last desktop and when I took it into be repaired it had a few nasties on it although they hadn’t hindered me in any way.

Anyway Microsoft came tearing to the rescue today  with Microsoft Security Essentials , just released, which will provide real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. Microsoft Security Essentials is a free (as long as you have not a pirated copy of Windows) download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology.

So I downloaded onto the laptop and away we go. I just saved myself about $160. Thanks Microsoft, don’t like your browser but you have lots of experience with viruses don’t you.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

Jeni said...

I use AVG on my computer, along with Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot -both freebies to try to keep the malware at bay. So far, I think they are working okay but what the heck do I know about viruses, worms, and such. I just hope they are doing what they're supposed to do and what they say they do anyway.

M.A.C. said...

I use AVG and any nasty stuff that could cause issues gets locked in the vault. I've always believed the internet should be free just like the air we breath.

However with that said, if the world could put a surcharge on air then we'd all be paying for that to.