Thursday, September 03, 2009

Update and singing the praises of Opera 10

Made two lots of bread this morning and Dave has gone off into the forest to get more wood. We have lots of it now but he wants to get the wood shed completely full. I think he finds great satisfaction in seeing it all neatly stacked. He has, on occasion, given wood to those not able to get it, but it is hard work pulling trees out of the bush with a winch, sawing it up and then splitting it when he gets home. We had a terrific storm last night, the lightening lit up the whole sky like daylight and the thunder went on for some time. I sat out in the solarium and watched the display, I have always loved a good storm. Then the power went out so I got out the lamps but by 10pm our eyes were getting strained reading so we went to bed.

I downloaded Opera 10 and have moved over to it completely. It has a Turbo setting which can speed up my connection when it gets slow which happens every evening. Plus you can personalize it to your hearts content. It also synchronizes all my settings with the laptop. I have set it up as my main mail client, having my gmail accounts download into it, and they can be read offline if necessary as well as my feeds. There are a lot of features I like about this browser. Opera isn't as well know in North America as in Europe but it is a very good browser. Takes some time to get it all set up the way you want it, but worth it.

I have been a faithful fan of Firefox since it came out but it seems to have got very slow lately, at least for me. Flock is a faster alternative to Firefox, uses same code and you can use all the Firefox extensions with it and great if you are really into social networks etc. and I moved over there for a while. I tried Safari 4 but not that impressed it is faster than Firefox but you can't personalize it at all. Chrome is good but has not come up with ways to personalize it as yet.  I won't even use Internet Exlporer.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I have also been finding that Firefox is slow lately. Have been using Google Chrome some; but as you say not as good to personalize.
Maybe I will try Opera. Thanks for the tip.

Cicero Sings said...

We've had a goodly rain today and it is still raining though soon to let up. No fireworks in the sky here ... just a lovely steady rain and boy did we need it.

latt├ęgirl said...

I was blaming slowness on my computer, which is now about 3 years old. But maybe it's FF that's at fault?

It took me a long time to take the leap from Explorer to FF, because I had no real complaint with IE at that time. But I trusted the praise I'd been reading for FF.

IE now seems to me like some sort of sad, lonely dinosaur.

What concerns me more is the forced switch to Vista once I do finally decide that my trusty little laptop needs to be retired.

TechnoBabe said...

I have a mac and so does hubby. He said he tried opera last year, I wasn't aware of it because he tries out so many things. I just keep plugging along with firefox. I might try opera, thanks for the info.