Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dark and dismal at the crazy lady’s house.

When told the reason for Daylight Saving time the old Indian said...'Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket.'
Daylight saving time, the brainchild of Benjamin Franklin was not readily accepted in his day but was instigated during World War I due to fuel rationing. Germany realized that the fuel could better be used to serve the war effort, and instituted the first daylight saving laws in 1915. England followed suit in 1916, and, finally, Canada and the USA, in 1918. So I suppose the theory is that we will continue to save fuel because of daylight savings.
To me it just means the lights will be on an hour less in the morning and an hour longer in the evening no real benefit as it is dark when I get up anyway so the lights are generally on for two to three hours at least and it is dark again at around 5:30 at night although we will have to put the lights on around 4pm on a clear day and if cloudy it would be about 3pm so we only have about 5 hours a day without lights and all night of course so daytime can be pretty dark and dismal up here in the frozen north.
Tonight it is –7C/19.4F with a brisk 50km/31mph wind. Enough to freeze your socks off but there are Halloween celebrations going on in the village put on by the hardy souls of the volunteer Fire Department for the few spectators brave enough to venture out. 
Hearing those fire crackers going off makes me think of our dog Annie, now gone to her duties at the alpaca farm. She hated anything that banged and it was hours until we could persuade her to come out of her hidey hole. I have never done Halloween and my kids didn’t either. I wouldn’t want to give children candy anyway. Fortunately no one comes up here to the crazy lady’s house so I don’t have to send them away empty handed. 

5 comments:

Jeni said...

The Indians get my vote too on Daylight Savings stuff! Kind of stupid, isn't it?

Cicero Sings said...

Love the Indian quote!

Mary Mac said...

well blogging gives us something to do during these wild northern bush dark hours eh !?
Come have a coffee & read a good literary journal or something in PG sometime : ) -- I recommend Books and Company!

troutbirder said...

I like the analogy and the history lesson on daylight savings time. And here I thought we were really saving something.

Skittles said...

I don't think you're crazy at all! :)