Friday, October 30, 2009

News overload

Every morning we have coffee and watch the morning news, mostly for the weather report but lately all we hear is H1N1 and Olympics. I am so fed up with both I could spit. Is there nothing else happening on the planet? Again in the evening at six we watch our local news which is again mostly for weather and to see if the mine has gone any further forward.

I am a news junkie and I know I could turn the TV off but then I would check it out on the Internet anyway. I follow everything from environmental news to the latest technical news.

As far as H1N1 is concerned I think there is far too much fear mongering, people die of the flu every year. Maternal mortality is horrendous throughout the world even in North America the numbers are high, per 100,000 young women there are 6 deaths in Canada, 17 deaths in USA and 83 in Mexico, worldwide 17,553 women die every year  due to pregnancy, but we don’t hear too much about that. Swine flu will come and go but child birth will continue, what are we doing about that.

As far as the Olympics in Vancouver, this January 22 to March 21, I think it was a mistake and I would not have voted for it in the first place. With the drugs and the enormous expense of security, which no city hosting the Olympics can go without these days, the whole spirit of the things is long gone. I imagine this is going to cost the taxpayers a pretty penny. Does anyone know if any city that has hosted the Olympics actually made money from doing so? Montreal hosted them in 1976 and finally paid for them in 2006 having lost money in the process.

So that is my opinion on it for what it is worth.

5 comments:

TechnoBabe said...

You are right, the news about swine flu is ongoing and full of fear. I only read news online or watch video online since we don't watch TV but it is the same. How are you doing in your preparation for your stay in Mexico?

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am sure your Province is supposed to be all about the Olympics these days. I think Calgary had a profitable Games. Montreal was a disaster, Drapeau's folly. I fear this Winter Olympics will be a loser.

I saw a piece on the TV. Many of the expensive Olympic facilities in Greece are a shabbles and unused. I wonder what the story is there.

Joy said...

I'm a talk radio junkie and sometimes I have to take a break. I get pretty upset about what is going on in politics, etc.


Joy

Cicero Sings said...

I'm with you girl. That H1N1 ... what a crock ... those drug companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I'm not big on vaccines ... didn't even vaccinate my dog. We are an over vaccinated people.

The Olympics ... I agree ... BIG mistake for B.C. We will pay in the end. The only good thing, the Vancouver transit system was improved ... at least, hopefully, improved.

Jeni said...

How true -especially all the flu scares -every year it is the same thing but just a different name attached to the flu. And, I wish some of those in our country who like to tout how wonderful our medical system is and how terrible it is in Canada would see and realize the difference, statistically speaking, in childbirth deaths per year per country -6 in Canada, 17 in the U.S. -that's three times higher, death rate, isn't it? (Okay, 1 shy of being that, but anyway if that is any indicator, then I'd say Canada's health care system, government run as it is, has a better track record then than ours does!