Monday, October 12, 2009

What a little sunshine can do for you.

After years of telling us to keep out of the sun, we are now being told that sunshine plays an important role in our health. Getting sunlight on your skin it has been discovered to be extremely important for preventing and possibly reversing chronic diseases: prostate cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer, mental depression, osteoporosis. Scientist claim that sunlight can actually reverse osteoporosis.

You probably know the importance of calcium for your health. If you don't have enough calcium you are going to have cardiovascular problems and you will probably end up with heart disease. Calcium is also crucial for healthy nervous system. However without vitamin D  your body cannot absorb calcium even if you take supplements. So if you are not getting sunlight or ultraviolet radiation on your skin, then you are probably not absorbing the calcium. Your skin generates vitamin D in response to sunlight exposure. 

In fact, vitamin D is a key compound in the regulation of cancer cell growth. Researchers are just now figuring out that people who are chronically deficient in vitamin D, which includes most North Americans, are at far greater risk of a variety of different cancers. Vitamin D has been shown to be the single most powerful chemical compound known to medical science for preventing hormone-related cancers such as breast cancer and prostate cancer.

What can you do if you live in the north. One choice is using a tanning booth or to find a source of vitamin D. One of the best ways to do that is to drink cod liver oil on a daily basis. A tablespoonful of cod liver oil would go a long way toward boosting your vitamin D count and protecting you from chronic disease. Cod liver oil is close to tasteless, although you can purchase flavoured varieties.  Although milk has the addition of Vitamin D it will not give you enough. Most of the vitamin D in milk has been destroyed by  exposure to light. The most efficient vitamin D supplement is still fish oil, and cod liver oil is the best way to go.

Vitamin D will give you healthier bones, tissues and blood. You'll help prevent cancer, depression and gum disease. You'll heal more quickly from injury, and your mood will markedly improve. Just ten minutes a day without sunscreen in sunlight can do this for you.

Although I take Calcium tablets with Vitamin D I must admit I hate taking them and often forget or even deliberately don’t take them. Also I don’t go out in the sunshine enough so I am sure I do not get enough of this vitamin. Now I know, this is something I must make myself do every day regardless of bears, flies or cold, as long as the sun is out I can walk up and down in the sunshine on our own property. Dave is out all the time so he doesn’t want to go for a walk with me, and anyway he is 6’3” and I am 5’3” and I can’t walk fast enough and it frustrates him to toddle along.  I can’t wait to get to Mexico and start soaking it up, I plan to do a lot of walking there.  

Notes from Vitamins on Line

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

We are out almost every day and in winter will sit on a bench to soak in as much Vitamin D as we can, if the sun is shining. I will roll up pant legs and shirt sleeves if it is warm enough. We also take supplemental Vitamin D in the winter. Summer we eat outside, take long walks, garden ... so I think we get enough Vitamin D then.

Amazing though, people are still paranoid of the sun and slather up with sun screen. During the hot time of the day, I use a hat or light long sleeve shirt. I refuse to use sunscreen ... all those chemicals can't be good for you.

TechnoBabe said...

That is the first thing I thought about as I read your post: You will be able to get plenty of sun when you are in Mexico. I am looking forward to hearing from you how it is there.

jmb said...

Well I creep about from one shady spot to another, wearing a hat and covered with sunblock.

Of course my husband has had a melanoma, two squamous cell and many basal cell skin cancers and I am always having bits burned off me.

So I swallow my Vitamin D faithfully but would love to get some from the sun.