Saturday, May 29, 2010

A place for everything

We have been making some changes in the new place, one was turning the smallest bedroom into a storage room. It is just off the kitchen so an ideal place to store dry goods and kitchen gadgets, plus canning and wine. We have enough room for cookbooks and extra bedding, just about everything will fit in there. I tried my hand at making a video with the camera. Not very interesting but you get the idea.


We have been here just over a month now and we are settling in nicely. It is so convenient to just nip out to the stores, town is only a few minutes away although we are quite rural. I don't think a day has gone by when we haven't popped in for something. It is still a novelty as where we came from there was nowhere to go and nothing to do. We are able to attend a local church every Sunday and they have a home group on Wednesday's which we have been going to. Also we have a little neighborhood pub just up the road which sells chicken wings for .25 each and they are quite large so we have treated ourselves a couple of times. The people in the mobile home park are very pleasant and everyone keeps their place looking spic and span. A lot of older folk but there are some younger families with children but they seem very quiet and well behaved.

We brought the bad weather with us though. The locals say they have never had such a wet cold May in memory. However we have had a few nice days and it can only get better. Neither of us regret the decision to move. When I can remember to take the camera I will try and get some pictures. I have to find a new photo for my header as the countryside around here is quite different from where we were. This is real cowboy country and there are so many horses everywhere. They had a big rodeo here on the weekend and different rodeos go on all summer. Country music is the order of the day here and that is all new to me. Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton where the only singers I knew so I have to get with the program.

7 comments:

TechnoBabe said...

Turning the extra bedroom into a large pantry is such a great idea. That is wonderful. The video shows several shelves and even the floor is useful. I really like that. So glad you are enjoying your new home and the neighbors too.

Joy said...

Bernie, you are the envy of blogger world with that storage room you set up.
I love the open shelves and how you organized it. How nice to have the extra room and make it functional. I'm so glad you're enjoying your new neighborhood and town.
I didn't expect it to be horse country. Sounds like a great place.
My daughter can fill you in on the country music scene. She loves it.
♥ Joy

Cicero Sings said...

Glad you are in, settled and ENJOYING! Great to have such a large pantry ... one always needs extra storage and then there is not enough. LOL

SilverNeurotic said...

Brad Paisley is pretty good as far as country goes...maybe start there. ;)

Jeni said...

Making me darned jealous here Bernie with that storage area you now have! Maybe you can ship your husband down here for a while to see if he can work some wonders and build some shelving units for my bedroom as well as the dining and living room -oh, and don't forget the bathroom and 3 bedrooms upstairs either! LOL
Looks super great though! And save/file that video in a safe place too cause in case of a fire or any other type disaster, you could use it as an inventory of sorts I think.

Skittles said...

I'm glad you're getting settled in. It takes a while sometimes. It did for me anyway.

Loved the storage room video.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I am just catching up with your blog. I have been away for nearly a month most of it in Belgium.

You seem to have handled the transition to new digs from the solitude of the wilderness to the coziness of small town life. You are more flexible than I am. I have a friend who want be to move back to the upper middleclass neighbourhood I grew up in and she never left. Life around the pool or fighting traffic to find places to spend my money do not appeal to me. So far, I am standing my ground.