Monday, October 04, 2010

Mind mapping

I have been checking different mind mapping software and eventually found one I like that is free called Freeplane. A mind map is a graphical way to represent ideas and concepts. It is a visual thinking tool that helps structuring information, helping you to better analyze, comprehend, synthesize, recall and generate new ideas. Mind mapping helps clarify your thinking in pretty much anything, in many different contexts: personal, family, educational or business. Planning your day or planning your life, summarizing a book, launching a project, planning and creating presentations, writing blog posts -well, you get the idea – anything, really.
In a mind map, as opposed to traditional note taking or a linear text, information is structured in a way that resembles much more closely how your brain actually works. Since it is an activity that is both analytical and artistic, it engages your brain in a much, much richer way, helping in all its cognitive functions.


What can we use mind maps for?
Note taking
Brainstorming (individually or in groups)
Problem solving
Studying and memorization
Planning
Researching and consolidating information from multiple sources
Presenting information
Gaining insight on complex subjects
Jogging your creativity
  My Christian Life and Witness800
This is my first mind map. Starting from a course I am taking and moving into a course I will be teaching in April. Each separate heading has notes and webpages attached. One can add pictures as well. There are quite a few mind mapping tools out there but I can’t resist the free. It is not too difficult to learn, it has taken me about an hour.
Freeplane download

3 comments:

Joy said...

I'll check that out. That is a great tool. I'll have to see how I can utilize that.

♥ Joy

TechnoBabe said...

I forwarded this to my hubby's computer. He is using something to help him with ideas for a book he is writing. I think I will try this for my own use.

Crazed Nitwit said...

Yup! This is what they taught my younger son in 5th-6th grade. So much better than the previous way they taught kids how to write.


Mind mapping also helped greatly in nursing school. You know, for all those papers I'll never red again...LOL