Saturday, November 27, 2010

Chickpea success

chickpea crepes

At one time I made crepes quite often as they were a great way to dress up leftovers with perhaps a cheese sauce over the top but since being diagnosed with diabetes I have had to avoid flour as it raises the blood sugar too much. Some time ago I started experimenting with chickpea flour. I found it in our local grocery store in the ethnic foods section. It has very little taste so substitutes quite well for white flour. I have been using it to thicken gravies with success and adding it to the flatbreads I make for myself. So tonight’s supper was crepes wrapping  spinach and shrimp and topped with melted cheese. Dave said they were okay so they have passed the acid test. Chickpea flour has about half the impact on blood sugars that white flour has and contains no gluten for the celiacs out there. Also it has vitamins and minerals in it which white flour does not, even weevils can’t survive in white flour. Here is the recipe. I had to add an egg as my first crepe stuck but it could have been not enough olive oil or not quite the right temperature.

1 cup chickpea flour (also called garbanzo flour, gram flour or besan)
1 1/4 cup water
1/8 teaspoon baking powder, optional
Oil for cooking crepes

Heat a non-stick pan. Pour a ladle of batter on the hot pan. Using the ladle or back of a spoon, spread the batter around to form a thin crepe. Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon oil over the crepe. Cook on medium heat for about 1 minutes or till the bottom side is golden and sides start to crisp. Using a spatula, flip the crepe over and cook the other side till golden. Serve hot.

I think I will try it in place of wheat flour in a Wacky Cake and see what happens.

2 comments:

Crazed Nitwit said...

This sounds delish! I'm assuming I can use a heart healthy oil in place of butter??

I'm beginning to think you should write a recipe book!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Thanks for the tip. There are lots of flours which we mostly ignore. They deserve more attention and as you have pointed out they may have lots of special properties.